My Chevy DIED!!

Started by BFS57, November 04, 2009, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

38HAULR

The  Pertronix is connected correctly across the coil by the looks of it as described.
You will have three wires on coil pos.  The Ballast,The crank bypass, and the pertronix.
Frank.

Mikej

This probably doesn't pertain to your problem but I don't think you need the ballast resitor.  http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/low_voltage.htm

38HAULR

My experience tells me that if the coil is  intended for a ballast system then leave the ballast. These coils are designed to  operate on approx 8v in run mode.,and get full batt volts on crank for ease of starting.
I have Mustang with one of these Pertronix systems,and from day one the prev owner told me that it was a pig to start when hot,you could crank the daylights out of it ,gets embarrassing   in a parking lot. when people offer you a jump start.
The long and the short of the story is that one week of owning this vehicle was enough to give me the #@&*#,the first Saturday arvo I got to work on it solved the problem .
The coil was getting just over 4v on crank,mounted on the front of the engine block with the low volts and heat,the coil,s efficiency was dropping off.  This vehicle was ok on cold starts.
I swapped coils as an experiment  and heated the vehicle with a similar but improved results. Showing a variance in coil efficiency between the two
Some Klutz had removed the ballast by pass.
I rewired this in,and have had no probs since.  She starts first flick even after shutdown on one of our 40 degrees Celcius days..........Frank.