Making a 50s Column Shift work for a TH350

Started by Danimal, November 05, 2009, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

We landed a 1949 1 ton panel for my 14 year old, Eli. He's thrilled. It's huge. Party barge? Sure, thing, just ask his Mom!

Anyway, we're going with a Chevy 350 trans in it to keep it simple but rather than cutting the floor and installing a Gennie or something, Eli wants to run a stock column shifter on it with a stock column mated to a later PS box. Column and box isn't an issue as we did it on Court's truck with the great help of Enjenjo. Now I'm wondering what obsticals I face for the shifter.

Do I need any detents? Should I look for a PG shifter or anything special? I'm sure I can make it work, it can't be that hard to connect up, I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything. I don't want it to clang around loose up at the top and I don't want it falling out of gear.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

enjenjo

No big deal, I can explain it when you come over.

What you do is modify the linkage at the bottom of the column to eliminate the neutral, so it's locked in the low/reverse side of the shifter. then fabricate a shifter arm for the trans that is the right length.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

Thanks, Frank. I'll dig out my shifters to see what I've got. I have some stock truck ones and I think some from '53-4 Bel Air as well. I had a coffee can full of the linkage, too.

Maybe I can get out this weekend for a bit.

GPster

A TH350 behind what? You're going to be changing that $1500.00 piece into a parts truck. Don't forget a neutal safety switch! I probably ought to write your boys a PM about the parts I have laying around because the longer they're here the longer I try to figure out what I'll put them in . No better progress I'm making on the Jeepster I don't need a second project. Need to keep your boys all "Pumped Up" about this car thing so they can help on the Crosley next "Build Day" whenever. GPster

Danimal

Quote from: "GPster"A TH350 behind what? You're going to be changing that $1500.00 piece into a parts truck. Don't forget a neutal safety switch! I probably ought to write your boys a PM about the parts I have laying around because the longer they're here the longer I try to figure out what I'll put them in . No better progress I'm making on the Jeepster I don't need a second project. Need to keep your boys all "Pumped Up" about this car thing so they can help on the Crosley next "Build Day" whenever. GPster

Mild BBC and it IS a parts truck. Parts of this, parts of that. We was shoppin' at ol' Uncle Enjenjo's the last time to see what else we could add! Whacha got? Court's ready to learn body work and they need to work on their fab skills. Keep 'em stinky and away from the girls.

Danimal

And absolutely on the Neutral Safety Switch. Good point. Eli is careless enough as it is without 4410 pounds of '49 Chevy under his foot.