Ignition switch

Started by kb426, October 01, 2009, 07:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Wayne, it's a black synergy switch. If I switch it to acc. and then to on, I have to raise the key. If it's been running, was shut off and is in the off position and then turned to on, it works. I'm going to call Ron Francis and describe whats' happening tomorrow.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

I just recently installed the same switch im my truck. It also seems odd, not the same as yours though. In the start position it engages the starter maybe one out of four times. At times it seems to stick in the start position. Maybe there is a problem with the switches. The rinky dink Chinese Advance Auto I replaced with the RF switch did not do this [ just felt VERY cheap], interested in what Ron Francis says. I will call myself tomorrow. Joe

Okiedokie

Called Ron Francis today. They are sending a replacement. He said they have not had any problems, but did not hesitate to say he was sending a replacement. By the way, I mis-spoke in my last post. The one I replaced was a NAPA switch, not from Advance. Joe

kb426

I called also. New one on the way. If the dash wasn't such a pain to take out, it would be a two minute deal to swap switches.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

Thought it was odd that if they were not having problems with these switches they did not want mine returned for examination.

wayne petty

so who is going to test their switches before they try to put them in...

set up a few tail light bulbs in sockets... with a battery  to power it..????

if you do it with insulated 1/4" female push on terminals..  you can use the same rig to test relays later.,.. so the time is not wasted...

Okiedokie

I will test mine the same way I tested the old one after I removed it, with a continuity tester. Isn't that an appropriate test? I know my known good switch tested continuity from bat to start with key in start pos, Ron Francis unit did not. Joe

Ron Francis

HI,
I wanted you guys to know that we take you at your word the switch is bad.  Because of shipping costs today, it is too much to ask for a part to be returned.  It does not cost us that much in a years time to offer excellent customer service.   We also track any replacements so if you decide to replace all your switches with new ones, we'll be asking to see the old one first.  We've been at this for 35 years.  We want people to be happy.   :D   I can see from the forums that most guys never call the supplier first.  Why is that?   :)
Ron Francis

kb426

Ron, I received my replacement switch today. As to why we don't call the suppliers first, my take is this and it only applies to this forum: this is a small forum. They are a small group of users that post regularly. Even though I haven't met very many of the members, I have a little bit of a relationship with the active users. I live in the boonies so these are my car guy friends. We are just talking in our posts. I meant no offense in my post about having switch trouble. If we hadn't already had a discussion about switches a year ago, I never would have said anything. I bought your switch because I thought it was the best answer to my situation. I found it ironic that I had a switch that still caused me a concern. Thank you for sending the replacement switch at no cost.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

Thanks for posting Ron, it is good to know you are watching these forums. I did call, the day that I saw the original post on this thread. That was Columbus Day I believe and I did not speak with anyone, thought maybe you were closed. Posted on this thread that evening then called the next day again and spoke with tech. I must tell you that while he was quick to tell me he would send a replacement, he was not very "friendly" doing it. Maybe I shouldn't have expected that. Anyway, I was out of town the rest of last week and when I returned yesterday the new switch was in the mail, thanks for the quick service. This switch works fine. I did receive more education with this, I assumed all ignition switches would have continuity between batt and start. I now know that some are between ign and start. Testing this way the original switch "tests" ok, it just won't function ok. I have used your panel previously and will again. Joe