Torque Specifications inch pounds to foot pounds??

Started by seadog, October 12, 2009, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

And Now For The Dumb Question of the Day for which I apologize in advance.  This is probably pretty basic stuff that I should know.  

I have several bolts for which the torque spec is in inch pounds.  Not having an inch pound wrench I'm wondering if there is any reason not to simply use one of the many conversion programs to convert the inch pounds spec to foot pounds?  If there is no reason not to do this, then why weren't the specs given in foot pounds to start with?  I should add that I have already tightened the fastners in question using a conversion program to get the foot pound equivalent, I just need to know if this is correct or is there some reason not to do it this way?

Leon

120 In/Lb  = 10 Ft/lb   The only problem is many ft/lb wrenches don't go down low enough, and at the bottom of their scale they aren't as accurate as mid scale.  My smallest Ft/Lb wrench starts at 10 so if I have a fastener that needs less than 120 in/lb the In/lb wrench is mandatory.  I bought one at Sears and wouldn't be without it.

wayne petty

Craftsman Microtork® Torque Wrench, 25-250 in. lbs., 3/8 in. Drive
Item# 00944593000 Mfr. Model# 44593
3/8 in. square drive Wrench measures 25 to 250 in. lbs. in 1 in. lb. increments. Superior internal mechanisms reduce friction and provide accurate and consistent measurements.

FYI....   80 cocos.. when not on sale..

for the low torque requirements.. i like dial type .. instead of click type..

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=dial+type+inch+pound+torque+wrenches&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=CwPUStiQAZKqtgPMrNzMCg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQrQQwAA

it does  take a bit longer.. but they are probably more accurate.. at the lowest settings..

one thing more.. never leave a click type torque wrench set above 0 for long..

C9

True Value hardware has a beam style inch-pounds 3/8" torque wrench for under $20.

If you want a fairly small scale, you can find 1/4" inch pounds on E-Bay.

I got one last year, $12. plus maybe $3. for shipping.

Nice wrench, beam style, used in a government lab and like new.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

seadog

Thanks, knew I could count on this board for good info.

38HAULR

You have problems?
I get into a scramble every time I get my trusty torque wrench out ,it is imperial.   Today all the specs are metric,before tackling a job it is out with the conversion charts  and writing the old measurement next to the metric   Newton meters   :?  :?  :?  :? ., I guess I need to not be a skinflint and grab a modern wrench. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ..   Frank.