Another wet day in Des Moines

Started by moparrodder, July 04, 2004, 12:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparrodder

Well it was a wet one in Des Moines today :(   It started out early with a heavy mist then it quit and started up again later then quit for a while and gave everyone just enough time to wipe their rides down only to have it start again only heaver.  It wasn't a total loss though as Chad and I finally got his T bucket there for it's first show  and got to cruz the grounds, and I here to tell ya it was worth getting a little wet just to see the look on Chad's face as we cruzed around and here people say" Thats a cool little bucket, haven't seen one like that before" 8)   We had a meet and greet at 11:30 withMike J and his wife Anita, Rum Rum,  Jaybee, Daryle(40) and grand kids, Bob(34 Ford)  Bob K, Lance(couper)  and Gail and I and Chad.  It sure was great to see old friends and make some new ones.  I also went with Bob K to a meet and greet with some Hambers and had a super time with them too.  We had to cut it short as I got really exhausted from the lack of sleep in the last few days with the long hours at my regular job and thrashing on Chad's bucket to get it there. We probably wouldn't have made it if it weren't for the help of Mike J!!!  Thanks Mike, You sure rate highly in our book, and I can't foreget the rest of the group, you're a super group of friends to have!!!  That's what this is all about, sharing friendship and helping others do what we ALL enjoy!!  Thanks for a great day even if it did get a little damp!!   Bill , Gail and Chad  

ps.   Daryle did a good job with the grand kids...he never left them behind once!! :lol:

Mikej

Like Bill, We also had a good time in Des Moines. Nothing like having a car there to feel like part of the show. We went to eat with some of the guys from the board again this year and had a relaxing time. Alittle rain but nice temps. Nice cars as always in Des Moines. Pizza for breakfast and a coke. We tagged along with Daryle. As always he was looking for a car to add to his garage (proably his wifes space as he has no more room).
 You are welcome Bill.

jaybee

I'll echo what's been said above.  Good times, good people, good cars.  My boys enjoy the RRTers as much as I do and they know a nice car when they see one, too.

Got a good look at KCTom's new ride, it looks every bit as good in person as the pictures he's posted.  No sign of anyone who might've been Tom (not that I'd recognize him, we've never met).  you have a great eye, Mr KC.

We walked our feet off, the fairgrounds were at least as full as any other year in spite of the weather.  This year we went straight for the back 40 and saved the Main Concourse for last, nearly the opposite of what we've done in the past.  Happy to report that their were just as many partially finished cars as their have been the last few years.  I'm talking about those that clearly intend to be works in progress, as opposed to those that intend to run primer on a permanent basis which of course is also cool and their perogative.  To me it says there will be an increasing number of neat cars to see well into the future.

Moving the model year cutoff from 64 to 72 changed the flavor some, but older cars still dominated.  I got pictures of some great iron but won't be able to share right away.  The battery for my digital camera went bad and they're on backorder.

I guess you could say I was paid to go to the show.  I won a Lincoln Electric auto-darkening helmet from the Praxair booth just outside the vendors building.  Just icing on what was already a very tasty cake!  Can't wait till next year, in fact I wish I had time away from work to go someplace else and do it again this Summer.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

34ford

As already said it was a great show. Lots of cool cars parked in nooks and crannies all over the fair grounds. Been going this show since it's 1st one in 91 and this is the biggest and with the cut off year changing it was different in a good way. Lots of nice muscle 69-72 cars. Think the rain keep some of the high dollars ones in the trailers but they had the ones for Custom Rod of the Year inside this year which was nice.   Nice to meet the group and put some new faces with names. Will try and post some of the pics on the web shot page this week.

bob

Just got home....even remembered the grandkids!Had a good trip...other than a few minor bumps in the road!  :roll: Had to give the grandaughter some on the spot instructions on what NOT to do with an umbrella,bandage a wound when the fellow pinched her thumb closing the gate on the sky tram and clean up the result of a car sick grandson while stuck in fairground traffic...they had a ball and already want to know when they can go again!Was good to see everyone...I caught up with everyone I think with the exception of KC Tom...saw his car once on Saturday in the shade and again Sunday morning on the main street but couldn't locate the driver!The 38 looks great,also finally got a look at Bob K's convert in the winner's circle...congratulations on the "Wicked Custom" pick!My young friend with the 37 Convert also got a Streetrodder top 10 pick...that sure made his day!Increasing the cut-off to 72 did make for a larger variety of cars to look at but also seemed to really clog up the fairgrounds...seemed to really make it difficult to cruise the grounds.The trip down was a bit iffy but the cruise home was "uneventfull".Already looking forward to Louiseville!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

couper

Quote from: "40"Just got home....even remembered the grandkids!Had a good trip...other than a few minor bumps in the road!  :roll: Had to give the grandaughter some on the spot instructions on what NOT to do with an umbrella,bandage a wound when the fellow pinched her thumb closing the gate on the sky tram and clean up the result of a car sick grandson while stuck in fairground traffic...they had a ball and already want to know when they can go again!Was good to see everyone...I caught up with everyone I think with the exception of KC Tom...saw his car once on Saturday in the shade and again Sunday morning on the main street but couldn't locate the driver!The 38 looks great,also finally got a look at Bob K's convert in the winner's circle...congratulations on the "Wicked Custom" pick!My young friend with the 37 Convert also got a Streetrodder top 10 pick...that sure made his day!Increasing the cut-off to 72 did make for a larger variety of cars to look at but also seemed to really clog up the fairgrounds...seemed to really make it difficult to cruise the grounds.The trip down was a bit iffy but the cruise home was "uneventfull".Already looking forward to Louiseville!!
Congrats to your friend with the '37. I knew when I saw it in Springfield, it would not go unnoticed.
It was nice to see all of you at the show! I want to thank Bill, Gail, and Chad for extending an invitation to me to be with them for their 4th celabration in Dunlap, Iowa, but I decided to save a couple vacation days and go back to work, then go to Columbus on Thursday.
Also, Daryle, thanks for inviting me up your way too. You seemed to have your hands full with the grandkids anyway. They sure were great kids. I'm glad you got that wheelbearing taken care of. Broke down on the highway with gramma's precious little angels is no place to be.
I left Des Moines at 10:30am, pulled in to Springfield at 4:30pm. No troubles.
Saw KCTom's car Sunday, but no Tom.
I'm going to post a question about Columbus, hope I can get some guidance from some of you who've been there.
Lance

34ford

Hey guys,

Who won the custom of the year award? Had a nice dry day for the 4th and now it's raining again here today, wettest summer in a long time but stuff sure is green and the corn is tall.

bob

Crosley.In.AZ

Could you UPS some of that rain over to AZ? We need it.

did I say that?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

moparrodder

Quote from: "34ford"Hey guys,

Who won the custom of the year award? Had a nice dry day for the 4th and now it's raining again here today, wettest summer in a long time but stuff sure is green and the corn is tall.

bob

Bob, It was the orangeish and black 55 Chevy convert that won the custom of the year according to Boones,  and Bob K won an award in the garage grown section too.   Bill

Crosley,  I'll try and box some up for ya but I don't think it'll make it.  Ya know how those guys like to play dodge ball with the packages once in a while, but we'll give it a shot :lol:    Bill

34ford

Thanks Bill. That was a nice car. One big stereo in the trunk kinda takes care of traveling light with luggage. Guess I forgot to get a side view of it.

Crosley,
Would like to. Have to mow the grass three times a week to keep it under control. To much fertlizer I guess.

Here's the 55.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Glad to hear everyone had a good time and it sounds like your all back home safe and sound.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Kctom

Quote from: "couper"
Quote from: "40"Just got home....even remembered the grandkids!Had a good trip...other than a few minor bumps in the road!  :roll: Had to give the grandaughter some on the spot instructions on what NOT to do with an umbrella,bandage a wound when the fellow pinched her thumb closing the gate on the sky tram and clean up the result of a car sick grandson while stuck in fairground traffic...they had a ball and already want to know when they can go again!Was good to see everyone...I caught up with everyone I think with the exception of KC Tom...saw his car once on Saturday in the shade and again Sunday morning on the main street but couldn't locate the driver!The 38 looks great,also finally got a look at Bob K's convert in the winner's circle...congratulations on the "Wicked Custom" pick!My young friend with the 37 Convert also got a Streetrodder top 10 pick...that sure made his day!Increasing the cut-off to 72 did make for a larger variety of cars to look at but also seemed to really clog up the fairgrounds...seemed to really make it difficult to cruise the grounds.The trip down was a bit iffy but the cruise home was "uneventfull".Already looking forward to Louiseville!!
Congrats to your friend with the '37. I knew when I saw it in Springfield, it would not go unnoticed.
It was nice to see all of you at the show! I want to thank Bill, Gail, and Chad for extending an invitation to me to be with them for their 4th celabration in Dunlap, Iowa, but I decided to save a couple vacation days and go back to work, then go to Columbus on Thursday.
Also, Daryle, thanks for inviting me up your way too. You seemed to have your hands full with the grandkids anyway. They sure were great kids. I'm glad you got that wheelbearing taken care of. Broke down on the highway with gramma's precious little angels is no place to be.
I left Des Moines at 10:30am, pulled in to Springfield at 4:30pm. No troubles.
Saw KCTom's car Sunday, but no Tom.
I'm going to post a question about Columbus, hope I can get some guidance from some of you who've been there.
Lance

Sorry I missed everyone at the show. Did not spend much time around the car. Was like a big eyed kid in a candy store, running all over the place. Lance we were over at your motel many times. Saw your car and some chairs , but no Lance. We burned out a coil about 3 miles from fair grounds. K.C. Ron was in is T-Bird running ahead of me . He came to the rescue and went to the auto parts and got me a new one and installed it in a heavy rain. Then back on the road again. Man did I have a great time.
TOM :lol: :roll:

couper

Sorry I missed you Tom.
We were gone alot, either eating out or wandering around. I went to bed at 9pm friday night because I left Springfied at 1am that morning to drive up to the show. (yes, I'm nuts). Your coupe looks great by the way!
Lance

moparrodder

Quote from: "couper"Sorry I missed you Tom.
We were gone alot, either eating out or wandering around. I went to bed at 9pm friday night because I left Springfied at 1am that morning to drive up to the show. (yes, I'm nuts). Your coupe looks great by the way!
Lance

Hey Lance,  glad to see ya made it home safely.  Sorry for not saying bye before we left but I was about dead and my head was about to bust.  The trip home was scary to say the least, Chad started out drivin  went about 30 miles and fell asleep so I traded and didn't go much further than he did when I heard Gail yelling from the back seat calling me all kinds of names to stop so she could drive the rest of the way. Yes I know that was a really stupid thing to do but she hasn't pulled anything that big behind the Mountanieer so I didn't want to make her nervous in the city traffic but she's a real trouper and got us home safe and sound.  I'll never do that again, next time I'll get some sleep before we hit the road.  Was sure good to see ya this trip and some day we'll catch  up with ya again!! :)   Catch ya later,  Bill, Gail and Chad

rumrumm

It was great seeing all of you again. Once again, there was some outstanding design and impressive craftsmanship on many of the entries. KCTom's '38 looks as good up close as it does in the photos he has posted. Glad I got to see it.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com