32 Ford glass roadster bodies

Started by ragtag, September 20, 2009, 02:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Quote from: "rumrumm"I seem to recall that there is a certain amount of shrinkage when creating a fiberglass mold, so if you take a mold off a fiberglass body, the result is a slightlly smaller body than the glass original, which in turn is slightly smaller than the steel original. That could be why the Kilbourne roadster body is narrower. But they do bolt up to a '32 frame without any problems.

You hit the nail on the head. Some bodies today are many many generations from the original. Most of the glass body mfg guys are guilty of copying one of thier competitors glass parts for a mold. Most of them change a body line or a bead here or there just so they can "prove" it wasn't a copy. Each generation of part shrinks a little from the previous one.
I built a Kilbourne 33 coupe years ago. It took some effort as they all do, but produced an attractive car. A buddy and I built 3 32 coupes from another glass mfg. After the 1st one we knew exactly where the bodies were going to need attention on the following ones. The flaws are in the mold so each needs the same fix. Each mfg has some good and some bad points. All 3 of the 32 coupes we built had weak door hinges due to a mfg design.

Topsterguy

Uncle Bob said it all - if it's a keeper go for the better body ( Wescott in my mind). Also, make sure it's well cured, by them and by yourself ( set it outside bolted to a frame if poss for as long as you can. Glass shifts and shrinks  as it cures bigtime!  My body guy had my body  perfect then painted it- several months later shrinkage started to show! Bottom line, you get what you pay for!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Bib_Overalls

Friend recently built a Divviki 32 three window.  I helped.  He is an experienced builder and pulled it off but it was by no means a pleasant experience.

For a roadster I recommend Show Me Rod and Custom.  Has 2" stretched doors and cockpit.  And 2" in a Deuce roadster is a lot!  Priced right.

http://www.showmerodandcustom.com/
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks