Chevy Colorado Brake Master Cyclinder and Booster

Started by Learpilot, September 16, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I was over at the Body Shop that painted my Dodge and there sat a front half of a Chevy Colorado. The Body shop bought it for the radiator support and did not need anything else. I saw the whole brake assembly. They said you have 10 min. to get anything you like,because the scrap guy will be and is going to take it to the scrap yard.
I got the brake Pedal, booster and master cyclinder.
My question is , is this a good master cyclinder to use with my Mustang II front end with 11" brakes ? I have a good working '80 Pinto booster and master cyclinder. My concern is that it is almost 30 years old (Not my brakes but the year of the Pinto) and how much longer will I be able to get parts.

THANKS for your commit and input !!!
Rick

38HAULR

Hi Rick.  
Updating the components we pirate from other vehicles is good practice to me,especially as you mentioned parts/replacement.  Nothing worse than going into a wrecking yard for an urgent part you use,only to find that the particular era of donor vehicle is no longer represented in the yard. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
One comment though about master cylinders is that if you have a good set up system where brake balance is good,best to keep replacement parts compatable spec wise.  eg. Replacement  Master cyl bore identical to the older existing unit.........Frank.

enjenjo

It depends on the master cylinder bore. For a Mustang it should be about 15/16", about 22 to 24 mm.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Learpilot

Quote from: "enjenjo"It depends on the master cylinder bore. For a Mustang it should be about 15/16", about 22 to 24 mm.
Thanks for the info. I think The bore is 1" for the Pinto m/c.  I don't know the bore and I don't want to take the master cyclinder apart. May be someone knows.

wayne petty

i don't know... but many master cylinders have the bore size right on the side ....

i just checked one of my parts sources... the 04 colorados used a 1 inch bore with 10MM X1.0 pitch inverted flair lines...  if this helps any... i forgot to look at your post to see if there was a year posted...

Learpilot

Quote from: "wayne petty"i don't know... but many master cylinders have the bore size right on the side ....

i just checked one of my parts sources... the 04 colorados used a 1 inch bore with 10MM X1.0 pitch inverted flair lines...  if this helps any... i forgot to look at your post to see if there was a year posted...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! I don't know the year, I just saw the truck that was already cut up from a wrecking yard.  
That sounds like it would be a good replacement for my '80 Pinto m/c and booster. I also have the pedal and bracket.
I don't know what to do about the metric fittings. I could cut the lines and replace the fittings and re-flair the tube. Can you buy brake lines with metric and SAE fittings ?
THANKS AGAIN
Rick

enjenjo

QuoteCan you buy brake lines with metric and SAE fittings

Yes, NAPA has them. You can also get a standard metric line, cut one end off, and put an inverted flare fitting on it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

there are metric line to sae line adaptors...   and you can put them out of sight...

at the other end of the brake lines where they connect to the pressure differential block...

OH!!!!

a TIP for Metric brake lines...    hardened bolts in 10X1.0 sometimes float around the shop in the fastener buckets...   finding a matching hardened nut and putting them together in your tool box drawer.. just in case..

i have had several other techs cross thread the first thread of these fine pitch metric fittins... with these hardened nuts and bolts.. you can install them into the aluminum master or onto the brake line to restore the threads without cutting new ones..  trust me... it will save you a lot of time...    a tight fitting socket for the bolt is a good thing so you can align the bolt into the hole... i usually take the master back off to fix the threads...   if i had access to a lathe.. i would drill the end of the bolt a bit.. so it could go in just a little farther without hitting the inverted flare cone in the center...

Learpilot

Quote from: "wayne petty"there are metric line to sae line adaptors...   and you can put them out of sight...

at the other end of the brake lines where they connect to the pressure differential block...

OH!!!!

a TIP for Metric brake lines...    hardened bolts in 10X1.0 sometimes float around the shop in the fastener buckets...   finding a matching hardened nut and putting them together in your tool box drawer.. just in case..

i have had several other techs cross thread the first thread of these fine pitch metric fittins... with these hardened nuts and bolts.. you can install them into the aluminum master or onto the brake line to restore the threads without cutting new ones..  trust me... it will save you a lot of time...    a tight fitting socket for the bolt is a good thing so you can align the bolt into the hole... i usually take the master back off to fix the threads...   if i had access to a lathe.. i would drill the end of the bolt a bit.. so it could go in just a little farther without hitting the inverted flare cone in the center...
THANKS !
When I took off the assembly I saved all the bolts and nuts I could find because I have a good selection of SAE nuts and bolts ,but almost no Metric.

wayne petty

http://www.brakequip.com/fitpdf/thread_adapters.pdf

brakequip also has a great full catalog for download with all kinds and shapes of fittings...

https://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/115-120_Sec7_Part1.pdf

the brake line adaptors are on page 3 of this 6 page section or on printed page 123

https://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/121-126_Sec7_Part2.pdf

this one not only has the edelman part numbers but also the everco and weatherhead numbers

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1869&location_id=2516

this is the brake link page

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1878&location_id=2517

someone should move these links to a brake adaptor fittings section of our forum,,,