Bad Ford resistor

Started by butch27, September 11, 2009, 05:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

QuoteWhat have I got here?

Me confused. :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

38HAULR

Let,s not let this beat us, gotta be an answer. Lets see if I read this right . We have the coil ,which by description  is correct for the application. You have the external resistor.  This should be wirewound on a ceramic former, and has a resistance of  around 1.5 Ohms.   The coil has two terminals  one is -ve, and should have one wire connected going to distributor.   the other terminal, [+ve] should connect to the ballast resistor ,the other end of the ballast goes to the ign switch. The only other item connected to the +ve coil terminal will be a tubular metal cased radio noise suppressor condensor or capacitor that is bolted to frame or coil bracket.
This +ve coil terminal in a proper working system will also have a wire connected going straight to the "I" on the solenoid., there should be no other things hanging off this wire ignition wise.
Incidently the current drawn through that resistor should be around 2.5 Amps in running mode.  And around 4.5Amps  with ign "on" and points closed or the -ve coil terminal grounded........Frank.

wayne petty

i vote that it gets a vibrating model T coil and let it roll..

the only thing i can think of.. it that is the starter solenoid/relay is the wrong one...

as some are wired different internally...    

many have the bracket as the ground for the coil....   S to coil to bracket..

some have the I terminal as the ground ......   S to coil to I terminal

some have a 3rd terminal in the back... Think AMC ...

the S to coil to rear terminal...  the I is still a bypass...

amc did that as they used the torque flight neutral safety switch to ground the starter relay to prevent the car from starting in gear..

chrysler did it that way with their 4 terminal starter relay.. on the fire wall.. with a single threaded stud.. a single hold down screw and a pair of quarter inch push on terminals to the solenoid coil..

perhaps i am using the word coil improperly...   as sometimes i am using it do describe the windings inside the starter relay/solenoids...

other times i am using it to describe the ignition coil...  i usually try to specify the item...

perhaps the starter relay is installed upside down... and the I and S position is reversed ... i know that one of the diagrams had the solenoid shown upside down..

butch27

Guys: I did install a new starter relay and remade the wire from "I" to resistor. It does work now  ( good luck with this one- huh?)

enjenjo

Quote from: "butch27"Guys: I did install a new starter relay and remade the wire from "I" to resistor. It does work now  ( good luck with this one- huh?)

We are all puzzled as to why it made a difference. It should not have.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

38HAULR

As long as the "I" wire is connected to the coil end of the resistor it will be fullfilling it,s intended function.
Enjoy the cruising now Butch.
......Frank.