condenser?

Started by butch27, September 09, 2009, 08:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch27

How would a 302"-1967 Ford act if the condenser  was bad? My car started missing as I set the timing to the correct 6 degrees before TDC and the points at 17. Can't figure it out .New coil, cap points etc. Thanks

wayne petty

butch... you have to set the points with a dwell meter in 90 percent of ford distributers...  most have enough slop to make a feeler gauge worthless.

the vacuum advance also has to be disconnected to set the dwell on fords.. as the dwell changes with movement of the vacuum advance..

you also have to set the dwell before setting the timing...

there is also a ground wire from the base plate screw to the points screw... if that is frayed...  almost broken.. you might think about replacing it.. or making a new one...

by the way... pertronics ignitors can be installed in those in 6 minutes..  only draw back is the price..

when the condenser is bad...  the ignition system may not produce a spark...

if the condenser is too large verses the coil resistance.. it will cause the points to burn with a spike of burn going one way.. too small .. the spike of burn goes the other way.. just right.. nice flat even burning across the face of the contacts..

if the condenser is loose...  the car may quit running at odd times and may backfire..

a severe lack of power is also felt..  but it can be intermittent..

i normally try to set ford dwell around 26 degrees... then the timing..

butch27

I bought a new distributor from Whitney and this car ran good -( three times)  Oh- did you really set the timing at 26? Mine is near stock and at 6 before. Could it be the coil (new also)? I hate electric. One time I'll have great coil spark and the next time very little. Oh and I have those great 8mm wires from Jeg's. ??

wayne petty

no... i set the dwell to 26 degrees...  not the timing mark...

the dwell is the amount of time the points are open verses them being closed...

are you putting in new points...

did you clean the clear coating off the contact faces...   ????

off the nuts...  off the ends of the base...

they coat the points with a clear finish.. so they stay shiny ... easy to sell...

how is the ground strap... from one of the points mounting screws to the breaker plate...

remember...    when the points close..  they charge the primary side of the coil...

there has to be a good ground...

from the engine block .. to the hold down bracket..  to the distributer housing.. to the breaker plate hold down screw.. to the little flexible wire to the base of the points...    any of these weak.. and you may have problems..

butch27

Thanks: It was the little ground in the distributor - the screw was stripped and not tightening  enough.  WHEW

wayne petty

i cropped this together...

hoping to end the how does this work...