Chevy 2.8 V6 TPI engine

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 20, 2009, 12:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I took this engine out of a Camaro 1985 car about 6 yrs ago. Plans were to use it in one of the small POS cars I own.

I wrote down notes on the wire harness at the time of removal.  Always write down good notes for your self and keep them in a zip-loc  baggie. I did that sorta.

I got these 'notes' out and I swear some dancing monkey boy wrote them.  Locations of wires were there , but what the H-ll to hook up for 12 volts or not .....  was very confusing.

I found a wire diagram for a 1985 camaro online... problem there is I suck at reading wire diagrams.  After reading the diagrams about 40 times, I figured out the black- white stripe wire off the coil was not a ground , it was a tach feed wire.  So , the engine then had spark and fired up  with carb spray into the throttle blade.

I will need some HELP with a connector that has 3 wires in it.  I will post a photo of it and i can not figure out what it should hook to.  One wire is from the cooling fan relay, the other two appear to be injector wires = one each to each coil of the injector wire feeds.  The injector wires are twisted around themselves to cancel out RF noise.

I do not have a fuel pump  for this TPI setup.  That Bruce Dorsi  fellow provided me with Airtex numbers about 6 yrs ago.... that is how old this project is.  :lol:

so......... take notes, write then down intelligently  for future reference.

I may stuff this engine in the 1959 Triumph  car I was given a few years ago.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Wayne must be out on a boat. He pointed me at www.eautorepair.net to get wiring for the S15 2.5L four that's in the Jeepster. There is a junkyard short-cut with only 2 or 3 wires to make it run (Enjenjo told me what it is) but if you're going to use it with the computor you might ne the whole diagram. E auto repair can give you a one shot deal on the camaro (I think it was $10.00) or you can by a year's subscription to everyting on that vehicle for I think $32.00. I made copies of all the wiring diagrams for '87 S15 and then started "white-out"ing the wires that I wouldn't need like door locks and alarms, cruise control and all vehicle wiring and lights to get it down to just engine management diagram and if you give me some wire colors maybe we can compare them with what I've got. Auto Zone site can head you in a direction but from the one's I've seen they'll just work well enough to get you in trouble. I'd find an early 2.8 that was carburated and get the intake and distributor off of it. But I'm a "check engine" light "Chicken" GPster

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"I got these 'notes' out and I swear some dancing monkey boy wrote them.

i think i found him

don't know which one is him tho

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

tomslik

cros, i sent ya some pictures...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list