Funny parts store story

Started by phat46, September 10, 2009, 12:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I don't want to start another parts store crappy service thread, but I had a funny experience today athe a local store. I need a gasket kit for the Edelbrock carb that i took apart on Tuesday, so Tuesday I go online to the Murrays website to get the P/N/ for a carb kit for my Edelbrock. Murrays is the only one of the local chain stores that is of any help when you need something that's not just a replacement part. The locally owned stores are just a memory now.... So I get the P/N off their website and go to the store, the website said none was in stock and could be ordered and delivered in one day. I walk into the store and it's all different, they were bought out by O'Reillys and they changed the entire store, I thought i had walked into the AutoZone that's about a quarter mile up the road! All new faces too, didn't see the guys that can get parts without the computers.  :cry:  A middle aged gal waits on me and I tell her i need the gasket kit...she asks the usual "what vehicle, year...etc." I tell her  no application, it's after market. She grimaces and isn't interested in the P/N that I had written out and had in my hand. She gets help from a kid and they go look for the kit... :roll:  "None in stock" they tell me, about two minutes after i had told them I had been on their website and they didn't have any and would have to order this P/N.  So she jumps on the computer and taps away, "yup here it is">  It's a few bucks more than what i saw it for and they can't get it in one day it will be here on Thursday....Today i drive back up there, all different people again..I tell the kid behind the counter what I'm there to pick up. He takes my name and goes to get my stuff. After five minutes he comes back, "No gasket kits came in today, but something did come in under your name." He gets some more help and they go back to look some more. A few minutes later they reappear with a Mr. Gasket hood pin set in a blisterpack :shock:  That's what was ordered for me. I tell the kid again, i need a gasket kit for an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm squarebore carburetor.....he asks   " What kind of car....................." :lol:   At least it was customer appreciation day and i got a free hotdog!!!  :D

GPster

Some people would ask where you got that hot dog , but I won't That would be considered in bad taste. GPster

58 Yeoman

Geez....JCWhitney is looking better all the time. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

wayne petty

i was looking through the walker performance PDF catalog..

http://www.walkerproducts.com/_pdf/2009_high_performance_catalog.pdf

i wonder if you have any carb shops near by>?>>

they have 2 listings for AFBs...  

the individual parts are on pages 6 and 7...

the carb kits are listed on pages 33 and 34 in the pdf file...

the edelbrock kit looks like the second walker kit.. number 159016
the biggest difference is that one comes with larger needles and seats.. and a slightly different base plate gasket..

the other walker kit 15881A    comes with smaller diameter needles and seats..   a complete accelerator pump..  and both carb top gaskets..

its just an idea...  the 15881A kit is only 23 cocos at the company you just had problems with...

this is just a thought...

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=edelbrock+part+number+1477&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZEOpSvDNNYemsgOg2-mFBQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

phat46

Quote from: "wayne petty"i was looking through the walker performance PDF catalog..

http://www.walkerproducts.com/_pdf/2009_high_performance_catalog.pdf

i wonder if you have any carb shops near by>?>>

they have 2 listings for AFBs...  

the individual parts are on pages 6 and 7...

the carb kits are listed on pages 33 and 34 in the pdf file...

the edelbrock kit looks like the second walker kit.. number 159016
the biggest difference is that one comes with larger needles and seats.. and a slightly different base plate gasket..

the other walker kit 15881A    comes with smaller diameter needles and seats..   a complete accelerator pump..  and both carb top gaskets..

its just an idea...  the 15881A kit is only 23 cocos at the company you just had problems with...

this is just a thought...

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=edelbrock+part+number+1477&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=ZEOpSvDNNYemsgOg2-mFBQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

No carb shops here, barely any functional car shops of any type here.  

The young man at the Murrays/Kragen/O'reilly store did actually find the same gasket kit I found on his website, it should be there in the morning, not that that helps me much as I'm a pallbearer in a funeral tomorrow....

BFS57

Hello;
here's my two cents. Someone should contact Edelbrock and ask why they arn't selling any of their products and  tell them this story or send a link to their website! Bet it gets straightened out FAST!!
You know, anymore when I go to a parts store the un-written motto should be, "if it isn't Honda, we don't know anything about it!"

Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

Here in Aridzona if there is a smart parts person at the local A-Zone or Checker - Shucks  type stores... it is because the needed a job and recently moved to AZ.   They do not hang around these places long.

I drive over to Mesa  to a CarQuest for my parts.  It is a bit of a drive , but the guys there know parts and know I buy stuff for old cars  and non  computer  listed applications
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"Here in Aridzona if there is a smart parts person at the local A-Zone or Checker - Shucks  type stores... it is because the needed a job and recently moved to AZ.   They do not hang around these places long.

I drive over to Mesa  to a CarQuest for my parts.  It is a bit of a drive , but the guys there know parts and know I buy stuff for old cars  and non  computer  listed applications

The bad part is that almost directly across the street from the Murrays or whatever they call it this week, was a GOOD local parts store. I knew the guys there, and i could go in the back and look for stuff. the Murrays moved in and down the street about a quarter mile and Autozone opened, The local place lasted about two years. I always went to the local place, but they just could not compete. I know that they would at least have known what i was talking about and probably would have had a kit in stock. There is a local/chain place in the next town south, about a fifteen minute drive, that has some guys that know their stuff, but I thought since i had the P/N from the Murrays site i figured they could get me the right part.....Next time I'll at least call the other place.

butch27

I went to Murrays all the time and now "O-Riley" took over- what a joke!