Trade on my Vicky

Started by sirstude, November 16, 2008, 10:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I had a call from the guy that owns this truck and he is talking a trade on my Vicky project.  He lives north of St Louis and I was wondering if anyone has seen his truck.  Looks good in the pictures, but I would like to know how it really looks before I go too far into this.

Doug

ps.  I hope this does not post twice, I got an error when I did it the first time.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Charlie Chops 1940

Doug,

Kinda like a fixed roof t-bucket. No slight intended to the bucket guys. Is the front suspension suicide mounted?

I don't remember why you were selling your Vicky. If it was to recover your investment I don't think this trade will help do that.

As I recall your Vicky is a pretty nice traditional style build. It should sell in your price range when the economy recovers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

57larry

looks like the engine is sitting too high

sirstude

This just kind of intrigued me, it is a pickup that I can ride in.  Buckets are too small.  The motor looks high with the 671 on it.  The Vicky is for sale, because I am never going to get to it, and the guy that is storing it, wants his space back.  I don't know on the front suspension, the rear is triangulated 4 bar

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Charlie,  As I sit out here in the Garage working on the Olds, I started thinking about the front end, and the construction he told me about, and I think you are correct.  Basically this is a glorified T Bucket, again no disrespect to the Bucket owners out there.  I don't think we are talking about enough difference to me on this deal.  Think I will opt out.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

To me in looks like a '28 or '29 Model A coupe with trunk/rumble seat cut off. By the position of the back of the seat I would say that the seat is further back than original which is good. From the picture it looks like the body is channeled over the frame, that would leave the seat bottoms probably only 4" off the floor. If the height of the engine means that the car has a transmission/driveshaft tunnel  thing might be really tight. I had a '30 channeled coupe when I was younger and more limber and it was liveable but the '28, '29s are narrower. Not knowing what your limitations are (but I can sympathize because I have some) I wouldn't rely on someone's looking at it to see if I could get in and out of it and drive it comfortably. If it's drivable, reliable maybe he could meet you half-way. GPster

sirstude

GPster,  they cut down a sedan.  I have more pictures and mostly was wondering if anyone from the midwest had actually seen the car.  Here is his description:
29 Ford- Started life as a 2 door sedan. 18" out of the window area, 6" out of back section, and 2" chop. The top is out of a 73 firebird. The bed is shortened 18" and has a poly universal fuel tank. and optama battery in an enclosed moroso box. all fuel lines are braided stainless.
Engine is a 350 Chevy with a 671 blower which was built approx 6 years ago never ran until i acquired it. motor has 2 650 cfm elderbrock carbs which are new. also cast iron sanderson headers with brolin stainless mufflers. this is the third year out. Petronix distribitor, walker radiator. blower is now 11% under driven for street use. have pulleys for over driven blower.
trans is 350 turbo with 3500 stall. rear 10 bolt posi with 330 gears and dutchman axles. 29 headlights built to grill shell. tail lights are actually 39 chevy cowl lights with led. third brake light is on the license plate. interior bucket are from 69 camero. lokar shifter, and e brake. fire extingisher mounted in between seats. i didit column.
chassis is z'd 8" in the rear and was built with 2x3 tube. triangular 4 bar in the rear and 4 bar in the front. coil over shocks in the rear (pro shocks) and drum brakes. disc in the fron and also a dropped axle. wheels are vintage 6" in the front and 10" in the rear both are 15" with 4 3/4 bolt pattern.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

river1

looks like someone like jimmy smith artwork

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

I wondered about that slant foreward between the cab (?) and the bed. It could just have been the way a coupe body had been drawn around but a sedan rear is a better explanation plus there would have been curves to make because a lot of the sedan rear body would have been lost with wheel wells. Putting all of the pictures together maybe it wasn't channeled. On other thing would be I think that 2 dr sedans had wider doors than 4 dr, coupe and trucks. It certainly looks better to enter and sit than my earlier guess would have made it. Maybe someone has an NSRA Fellow Pages that could help identify someone to look. GPster

Beck

I have seen the truck at a few shows. I like it! I am 25 miles south of St. Louis. The guy has had the truck at least 2 years. The blower does not make a lot of whine. It can be a bit cold natured starting. 2 yr ago at Quincy IL it was about 50 deg. It started but there must not be any choke. He had to let it warm up and even then it was tempermental. I havd also seen it at the Springfield MO NSRA show. I have some more photos of it on the PC. I'll see if I an locate them. I will probably PM you with them. The files are to big for here.

sirstude

Just and interesting update on this issue.  I did not do a trade for this.  Anyway, I have a friend up in Great Falls that has been building a 'Rat Rod' for the last few years.  I have not seen what he was building until I got to Spokane and saw this.  Sure would have been interesting if I had traded for the one and ended up with 2 based on the same drawing within 100 miles.  The quality on Gary's car is unbelievable, which is to be expected with him.  I tried to explain that one of the deals with a 'Rat Rod' is not polishing and wiping needed.

Doug

ps, I stole the picture from Denise's Spokane account on the H.A.M.B.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us