Wet NSRA Nationals

Started by 34ford, August 04, 2009, 10:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Just got home, after spending the day there. Weather was hot but not too bad. I talked to OBT, and his lady, 348Tripower and His wife Kathy, Centerline and his wife Pam, 58Apache, and his wife, and Tim(don't remember his handle) and his wife. Took one of my local buddies with me, saw one of my neighbors there, missed Skip, but saw his car, looking as good as ever. 12 hour round trip to spend about 6 hours there, but it was worth it. I'm going to bed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

Great weather for the Nats. I had a nice drive there and back with virtually no road construction to contend with. I looked for the RRT tent but didn't see it so I figured the gathering did not gather this year.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

57larry

I was there Wed thru Sun. had a great time

enjenjo

Quote from: "rumrumm"Great weather for the Nats. I had a nice drive there and back with virtually no road construction to contend with. I looked for the RRT tent but didn't see it so I figured the gathering did not gather this year.

Only a few attended this year. I only went down for the day saturday, so I didn't haul the trailer down there.

Carps

Quote from: "Centerline"There were so many cat calls and "No 80's" that they finally had to ask everyone to get it out of their system.  When that happened Freedom Hall erupted in  a chorus of boos and no stupid 30 year rule.
Isn't it fair to say that only about 10% of participants attend the awards ceremony in Freedom hall?

Does that suggest that the other 90% don't care about or support the change?   (insert tongue in cheek emoticon here)

Carps exits stage left............ pronto.   :wink:

QuoteDonk cars, burnouts and 5000 wat stereos.
That's happened every time I've been to Louisville, so it can't be blamed on the change.  Admitedly, the frst time I saw the Donks (why do they do that?) was '07.

QuoteOh, yea..... one more thing.  Last year there were a little over 10,000 entries and this year there were 11,103 entries.  Don't try to tell me they need this change because the car count is down.
So that's a 10% increase year on year, but how much did the cost of putting on the event increase?  I also recall that the 25th Nats had some 18,000+ vehicles registered and during the '90s attendance was typically around the 12,000+ vehicle mark, which kinda suggests numbers have dropped off.  But that's just off the top of my head without checking the database and doing the math using all the right numbers.

The other word for Greed is Business.   :wink:

I guess the good news is that a message was given that clearly did not fall on deaf ears.  Likewise, they should now if they didn't already, have a picture of the size of the pre '48 group that may be lost as a result of their decision and I'd figure they also have an idea of how many extra participants they'll pull with the allowance for late models.  If the late model number is bigger than the loss of pre '48s, then I'd reckon on no change to the proposed change.  If the numbers don't work out in their favour, maybe they will review the decision and start backpedalling.

Only time will tell now.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Centerline

Quote from: "Carps".........I guess the good news is that a message was given that clearly did not fall on deaf ears..........  

I sincerely doubt they will listen to anyone.  The plain truth is they simply don't care about the people who are responsible for their existence, their members.  Its all about greed and money.  

Personally I don't care anymore.  I attended the last REAL NSRA Nationals (and 18 before that) and since I'm no longer a member they can do whatever they want and it won't bother me one bit.  There are WAY too many other really good shows to attend... now the only hard part is deciding which ones to go to next year.  :D

alchevy

I was there along with about 14 other folks from Central Mississippi. We arrived in Shepherdsville, KY (about 17 miles South of Louisville) at our hotel just before the rain hit that area around 2:30pm Eastern time Tuesday. This after leaving the Vicksburg, MS area at 2am Central time. Saw the dark sky. Had heard reports from folks about the flooding. Picked up our registration on Wednesday morning. Staked our claim (with our tent frames) to a spot on the grassy side near the swap meet area next to the gravel drive. Got up at 4:30am on Thursday morning and went to the fairgrounds. We had our own t-shirts made up with an '80 on the front with a circle and a line through it. Then on the back of the shirts, we had the definition of a street rod according to the NSRA website. We wore them throughout the event. I wore mine on Friday. I left for the drive back home on Saturday morning.
So I can say that I went to 10 of these events. 1999 - 2009. Drove the street rod up there 2003 - 2007; in 2008, the a/c wasn't working (had to buy some parts for the a/c at event) so my wife & I trailored the car (also she was getting over being sick last year so she didn't need to drive that many hours in an un-a/c car). Then drove it this year up there and back.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

QuoteI left for the drive back home on Saturday morning.

I guess that's why I couldn't find you saturday afternoon. :cry:

reborn55

Got there Thursday morning--spent most of the day repairing broken valve spring.  Broke it about 30 miles from show.  Exploded in 3 pieces and bent the pushrod.  Got it back together and made it home ..  Walked around and ran into Al a couple of times.  Talked for awhile.  Looked for Frank a couple of times in their usual area, but I guess I missed him.  Had a great time anyway. Left after car giveaway on Saturday.  We go with our group to have a good time and meet new people.  Have made some great friends at these shows.  Not to worried about the cars.  Have a pre 48 and a 55 Chevy so next year I will have a choice.   Made motel reservations yesterday--so I guess I will be there next year :D

kyhotrod

Just discovered RRT, and this is my first post.

I love most all types of cars that have been modified or hotrodded
and have no problem with up to 1972 for NSRA events.    
But the change should have excluded the Nats, because it's full already !
Look at the aerial photo in the NSRA Nats 2009 brochure to see what I mean.

I am not going to fight for a spot to park, so
I'm not renewing my membership which expires this month.
It's been a long ride with NSRA (over 20 years), but all things must end, I guess.

enjenjo

QuoteJust discovered RRT, and this is my first post.

Welcome to the RRT. That your truck in your avitar?

papastoyss

Quote from: "40chevy"I was there along with about 14 other folks from Central Mississippi. We arrived in Shepherdsville, KY (about 17 miles South of Louisville) at our hotel just before the rain hit that area around 2:30pm Eastern time Tuesday. This after leaving the Vicksburg, MS area at 2am Central time. Saw the dark sky. Had heard reports from folks about the flooding. Picked up our registration on Wednesday morning. Staked our claim (with our tent frames) to a spot on the grassy side near the swap meet area next to the gravel drive. Got up at 4:30am on Thursday morning and went to the fairgrounds. We had our own t-shirts made up with an '80 on the front with a circle and a line through it. Then on the back of the shirts, we had the definition of a street rod according to the NSRA website. We wore them throughout the event. I wore mine on Friday. I left for the drive back home on Saturday morning.
So I can say that I went to 10 of these events. 1999 - 2009. Drove the street rod up there 2003 - 2007; in 2008, the a/c wasn't working (had to buy some parts for the a/c at event) so my wife & I trailored the car (also she was getting over being sick last year so she didn't need to drive that many hours in an un-a/c car). Then drove it this year up there and back.
AL
I wore a t shirt Fri. I had made that said "I went to the last REAL Street Rod Nationals" I got lots of positive response, many pics snapped (not of my ugly mug) . I met one of the NSRA blue shirt guys & he smiled & gave me a thumbs up. I guess not all of them agree with the company line.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

kyhotrod

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteJust discovered RRT, and this is my first post.

Welcome to the RRT. That your truck in your avitar?

Thanks for the welcome.   Yes, my truck.  350/200R4/two fours/loud pipes.