Suspension mounting question

Started by OldSub, August 17, 2009, 05:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

I'm mounting the IFS from a '72 Chevy C20 on the frame for a '55 1st GMC 1-ton.  I'm about to start drilling holes, but want to check my thinking before I get too committed.

I've got the crossmember positioned exactly where I want it to locate the axle centerline, and the crossmember is centered on the centerline of the frame.  It checks out on those two axis.

Just because I'm paranoid I measured from the tires to the frame and found it is biased about 3/16th inch to the passenger side.  After investigating a bit I'm convinced its because there are far more suspension adjustment spaces (technical term?) on the passenger side than the drivers side, and that I'm on the right track getting the crossmember right, and adjusting the alignment when I'm done.

But I'd sure like someone with more experience to tell me this is the right approach to the problem.

Am I nuts?  Okay, I'm building an hot rod truck, so that's a given.  Is my thinking reasonable regarding where I mount the crossmember?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

Yes you sound like you have it right. If there are more spacers on the A arm on one side than the other, it will set the tire slightly different, but no one can see it at 60 mph. Truthfully I don't even measure to the tires unless I suspect there is a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Thanks Frank, I just needed a little more confidence before I start doing things that would be hard to change if wrong!

Alignment Shims is the term I couldn't come up with earlier...  There are two more on each stud on the passenger side than on the driver's side.  And a few on each side look newer and cleaner than the rest.  I suspect it was aligned not long before it became available for me to cannibalize parts off it.

Thanks!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com