CPP power steering question

Started by Jbird, August 12, 2009, 12:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

I installed their complete kit on a 58 Chevy PU, it has the original leaf spring/straight axle front suspension. I followed the instructions to the letter. Now my turning radius is huger than huge, I can't do a u-turn on a normal two lane road and a too sharp right turn rubs the left front tire on the new steering box. Just wondering if any of you cool dudes have experience with the CPP kit.  Thanks  Jay

BTW didn't you get the ransom note? I was kidnapped by a real job.
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

enjenjo

Quote from: "Jbird"I installed their complete kit on a 58 Chevy PU, it has the original leaf spring/straight axle front suspension. I followed the instructions to the letter. Now my turning radius is huger than huge, I can't do a u-turn on a normal two lane road and a too sharp right turn rubs the left front tire on the new steering box. Just wondering if any of you cool dudes have experience with the CPP kit.  Thanks  Jay

BTW didn't you get the ransom note? I was kidnapped by a real job.

No experience with the kit, but I have seen several kits that do the same thing. The one from Unisteer for 28 to 32 Fords comes to mind.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Oh, the ransom note... I threw it away.

wayne petty

got pictures????

i have a wild and crazy idea........

disconnect the steering link at the pitman arm....  turn the front wheels as far as they will go....    turn the steering wheel in the same direction til it stops...     line up the drag link with the centerline of the pitman arm...  seeing how much longer your pitman arm will have to be to reach the drag link... see if you can get a measurement...

do the same in the other direction....

if the wheel turning angle is limited by the stops on the axle..  thats one thing...

but if the wheels can turn tighter.... and are limited by the improper length of the pitman arm....  that may be fixable...

you might also ... with a protractor...  measure the max angle of the steering box...   to the left of center and to the right of center...  some/ many boxes have internal stops to limit the amount the wheels can turn so they don't rub the frame or bind the linkage....

depending on the pitman arm.... and the steering box..  longer pitman arms may be easily available...  if not... rare parts might have a forging they can modify to fit your custom application...

you might also want to verify that any pitman arm drop is where the drag link really needs to be...   different drop pitman arms are also available..

this is what i would do if you came to me with this problem...

WARNING>> THESE IDEAS BELOW ARE JUST FOR MOCKING UP>>> DRIVING WITH THESE MODIFICATIONS COULD COST YOU YOUR LIFE AND /OR SOMEONE ELSES LIFE>>

beware.. come pitman arms are cast iron/steel... not forged steel...

people have cut 2 pitman arms...   welded them together... to make a longer one...   i would think that you might try this... if there is not a lot of drop /offset in the pitman arm...

if you have access to a vertical mill...  i would take two used arms...  machine an offset lap joint... with a groove for one piece to fit in... and a slot  or multiple holes in which ever piece is thicker... so you can change the length... for mock ups...

post what you measure...   there were some steering box links i posted several months ago.. on box angles/stops..

here are a few links to pitman arm suppliers and forum threads on it..

http://bulletproofsteering.com/pitmanarms.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723790

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/New+Products/Keldermans-New-Pitman-Arm-for-Dodge-Ram/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/409687

feel free to ask more questions...

my fingers await...

enjenjo

Do they provide the steering box, or do you? Which kit did you use? GM, or Toyota?

Jbird

It's a GM steering box, supposed to be quick ratio. I think Wayne is on the right track. Maybe they sent the wrong pitman arm, I'm gonna  try calling them again in the am. Thanks  guys    Jay

Frank you should have read that note a little closer it was more like a reverse ransom note, they were offering $$$ to any one who came and got me out of their hair. Hey, six bucks is six bucks

OldSub

Quote from: "Jbird"It's a GM steering box, supposed to be quick ratio.
When I asked some questions about GM steering boxes a while back, Wayne posted a series of online articles about them.

It was this thread:  Saginaw Steering boxes.

I read them all, and I'm pretty sure one of them said some of these boxes have a smaller arc than others.  If you have a short arc box that might be part of the problem.

BTW:  Thanks again Wayne for your help on that problem!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

wayne petty

thanks for the complements

this is the actual link that shows how many degrees... it is on the other link but a few steps down..

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/shea_3.html

enjenjo

The CPP pitman arm is 4" center to center. If yours is that length, it's the right one.

I am almost sure that it's not long enough to give you full travel at the wheel with a stock steering arm on the spindle.

Where is the tire hitting the steering? Box or linkage?

enjenjo

QuoteFrank you should have read that note a little closer it was more like a reverse ransom note, they were offering $$$ to any one who came and got me out of their hair. Hey, six bucks is six bucks

I would go as high as 7 if they kept you.

Jbird

Thanks for that link Wayne, it's gonna come in real handy in the future.

Frank, CPP provided the pitman arm and the bolt-on steering arm for the spindle. I whacked off the original steering arm. I didn't get a chance to call them today but there's always tomorrow.     Jay 8)