Crager Wheel Pros and Cons

Started by johnnib, July 17, 2009, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnib

I am interested in putting a set of Crager S/S Alum-Black wheels on a '50 Suburban street rod but have been told they are "junk" to quote a local wheel distributor. I'm just planning on using a 15 x 7,  5 on 5. Does anyone have experience with those wheels or Crager in general? Thanks, John in Richmond

Carnut

Quote from: "johnnib"I am interested in putting a set of Crager S/S Alum-Black wheels on a '50 Suburban street rod but have been told they are "junk" to quote a local wheel distributor. I'm just planning on using a 15 x 7,  5 on 5. Does anyone have experience with those wheels or Crager in general? Thanks, John in Richmond

Don't know anything about new production of Cragar mags but back when I had a set or two, I always thought of the Cragar spokes being kinda upper class type wheels. They always appeared to be sturdily constructed and I have seen a few well bent ones that never broke in accidents.

OldSub

I have Cragars on my '55 1st Suburban, but mine are the older style wheels.

I've been very happy with them.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

paul2748

A local tire dealer told me that the quality of the new ones are not the same as the older ones.  Junk? - I doubt it.  I bought a set of four, all chrome, they seem to be well made, had no cosmetic issues and are working out fine on my car.  I do not use the car as a daily driver though.

C9

The first dealer is more than likely lying just so he can sell you his brand of wheels.

Along those same lines, if you like a particular thing many of them will try to steer you toward their higher profit margin items.

The 2nd dealer quoted by Paul2748 is more believable with his comments.

Even if he's lying, it was well done and polite.

Do your own research.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

rumrumm

The problems I have seen with Cragar SS wheels involves the flaking of the chrome plating on the aluminum centers. But I think a lot of this is probably due to people running them on daily drivers and not maintaining them properly. I have always liked those mags on 60's era cars.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

tompeters

i agree ,the only issue i ever had was the chrome flaking ,but that was daily use too.

Sean

Quote from: "johnnib"I am interested in putting a set of Crager S/S Alum-Black wheels on a '50 Suburban street rod but have been told they are "junk" to quote a local wheel distributor. I'm just planning on using a 15 x 7,  5 on 5. Does anyone have experience with those wheels or Crager in general? Thanks, John in Richmond

I've got Cragers version of the DragStar's on my F100. I can concur that the chrome is crap. I haven't noticed any peeling yet, but there are several thin spots that give me trouble.

Only suggestion I have is keep a bottle of Turtle-Wax's chrome polish handy. That alone isn't much protection though, so I usually wax them as well after using the polish.

My wheels are all steel though. A friend of mine has a set of Crager SS wheels from back in the eighties and every bit of chrome has flaked off the aluminum "Star" part of the wheels. He uses them on an old junky trailer now.

johnnib

Quote from: "Sean"

I've got Cragers version of the DragStar's on my F100. I can concur that the chrome is crap. I haven't noticed any peeling yet, but there are several thin spots that give me trouble.

Only suggestion I have is keep a bottle of Turtle-Wax's chrome polish handy. That alone isn't much protection though, so I usually wax them as well after using the polish.

My wheels are all steel though. A friend of mine has a set of Crager SS wheels from back in the eighties and every bit of chrome has flaked off the aluminum "Star" part of the wheels. He uses them on an old junky trailer now.