Body Swap and Registration

Started by dv8, August 09, 2009, 07:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dv8

I have a '48 F3 that I want to put on a newer model diesel frame complete with all the newer running gear.  My question is If Iwanted to keeep all the numbers straight on the title and registration how will it need to be registered, can I keep it on the F3 or does it have to be registered the "new" frame.  This in Calif
Thanks
For your help
Chris

phat rat

As I recall the vin tag is on the cab so wouldn't that be sufficient in Ca?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

i would invest the 10 bucks or so for a california motor vehicle code book from any DMV office...   read it...    scan and print the pages that apply to your swap...

what ever you do... don't throw out the stock frame... keep it.. you may need it...

states like washington.. get their state patrol officers dirty when registering out of state cars and trucks...    they check the frame numbers....

i would say... that i would ask the dmv for a title only for the frame ...  this may help in the future...

there is a difference in... a registration  and a title... titles don't expire...

so you might end up carrying both..  the registration for the body.. the title for the chassis...  

if you think ahh.. no problem...   think of the eleanor mustang rebuilders that got caught with swapping vin numbers...

Ed ke6bnl

I am putting a 53 chevy one an 85 s10 frame. I have the 53 registered and it doesn't seem like it is any of there business what frame is under them. I will keep regestering as normal. Ed

Ps I have F1 that is my first project and my boy was at the first Van Nuys Cruise get together and the big crowd gatherer was an F1 Diesel Rat. I will try to get over there this Wed. even thought I will need to be at work that evening for graveyard shift.  Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

paul2748

Quote from: "dv8"I have a '48 F3 that I want to put on a newer model diesel frame complete with all the newer running gear.  My question is If Iwanted to keeep all the numbers straight on the title and registration how will it need to be registered, can I keep it on the F3 or does it have to be registered the "new" frame.  This in Calif
Thanks
For your help
Chris

If it was me, I would get some stamps and stamp in the 48 vin  number on the later frame (where the original 48 number would have been).  But I hear CA is real picky on titles and vins, so this may not work

wayne petty

time for california rodders to stick their noses in here

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd4c3.htm

that is the most important to this thread

this is the entire table of contents...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm

places that i would think car modifiers need to read through....

most of division 12

division 12 article 16   on alcohol powered cars   http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a16.htm

division 15

i have not read any of these in many years... i used to have a printed copy...  but it has been years... so i don't know what it says... but i bet that every law enforcement officer knows ....

the highway patrol and some local agencys have taken to inspecting cars for modifications...  mostly lowered hondas and toyotas...  and towing them and having them CRUSHED    V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^_____________

i have not read the code that this is under.. and i worry that some guy in a 27 T bucket with a supercharged motor might get pulled over under this statute.. and off to the crusher it goes...

if we could just do that to the officials we elect... when they lie or pull a dirty trick...