You never know what you might find

Started by enjenjo, July 31, 2009, 10:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Today I was putting the driveshaft back into the car I towed back from Nevada. I was cleaning the rear Ujoint to install it in the rear end yoke, and found a penny glued to the end of each cup. :shock:  It was the wrong Ujoint, for this application, and whoever installed it used pennies for spacers to hold it centered. I went and bought the right joint, and it got rid of the minor driveline vibration the car had since I bought it. While I was at it, the diff cover was leaking, so I regasketed it, and filled it with fresh lube.

I still have to relace the front tires, flat towing it has worn the outside shoulders of the tire, and cupped them a bit causing them to thump. I'll run them out on my trailer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carps

I've used polished coins for decoration but never as spacers.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

phat46

Just think...if you pried those pennies off you saved two cents on the price of the new U joints!  
I have a router from Sears (Crapsman) that i bought before i got smart, that has a penny shimming the motor shaft at the back of the body...it took a while for me to figure out why the depth changed everytime when i flipped it back over from adjusting it !  :lol:

Carps

I think I know why we don't see so much of this downunder.

Too expensive, our $2.00 coin is about the same size as the US 1 cent coin and we don't have anything smaller than the 5 cent coin which is way too thin to use as a shim.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.