Stalling problem solved

Started by phat46, July 21, 2009, 06:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I doubt that anyone remembers but I had posted a while back about my 429/C-6 combo in my 46 Ford truck stalling as soon as i dropped it in gear. I thought it might be the torque converter because that's really the only thing I changed  between the time I took them out of a good running, but completely rusted out, pickup. I messed with the carb, timing and searched for vacuumn leaks to no avail. The torque converter I put in there was a remanned cheapy, $53. I had to keep the idle up so high that the truck would shift into seconf gear with out touching the accelerator. I replaced it with a TCI unit from Summit and it seems the problem is gone. When i first started it after the converter replacement it still stalled, but rather "softly" not like the instant stop it had been doing. I turn the idle mixture screws out a half turn and moved the timing just enough to see that the distrubuter had moved. TA DA! no stalling! I was able to turn the idle back down to a normal idle speed.  I wanted to replace the cheapy converter in any case and hoped it would solve my problem. ...and yes, I did do the Happy Dance!!  :D

enjenjo

Quoteand yes, I did do the Happy Dance!!

Visualising that scares me!! I want my mommy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"

HEY!!!   I kept my clothes on!

jaybee

That's a pretty strong statement from the land of naked mowing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "phat46"

HEY!!!   I kept my clothes on!

But that is not the way he was visualizing it. He has a real creepy mind if you had not guessed.

freddrew

I am glad you finally got it straightened out.  Now to put some miles on it.  Are you considering the run to Louisville since it will be the last street rod run and the 40th as well?

Fred Drew
Fred

phat46

Quote from: "freddrew"I am glad you finally got it straightened out.  Now to put some miles on it.  Are you considering the run to Louisville since it will be the last street rod run and the 40th as well?

Fred Drew

Hi Fred, missed ya on Cruise Night, but there was a lot of Canadian guys over here and they all know you!!!  There's no way i'm driving that truck to Louisville, my kidneys would punish me!!!   :D . I think i'm gonna be booked up on work then anyway, I thought retirement ment you didn't work anymore...we've been working almost everyday now for weeks, and there's no end in sight , but it'll slow down...come Winter... :lol: