Fuel Gauge

Started by 48bill, June 30, 2009, 07:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48bill

It's my week for questions.  

Apparently by removing and cleaning the gas tank in the F-1 the fuel gauge doesn't work any more (WHAT'S NEW).  It registers almost empty and when the key is turned off the needle moves up slowly just a small amount.   It's a SW Wings gauge and matched sending unit that has worked for 9 years.  I also checked by connecting the hot wire to the ground wire on the top of the sending unit and the needle pegged all the way up on FULL.  If memory serves me right (a big assumption) this means a new sending unit is needed.

Thanks for the help again.
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

38HAULR

Is the sender ground adequate?.  I would check this also.........Frank.

wayne petty

test it with an ohm meter....

test the sending unit mounting flange to the terminal with the sending unit out...    200 OHM scale on the meter...     0 to 90... or 10 to 90 ohms.. something like that...   with no drop outs when you swing the arm slowly..

test the sending unit mounting flange to the terminal

should test the same as the sending unit terminal to the body of the tank...

should be the same as the sending unit terminal to the body of the car...

these tests above verify that the ground is good between the sending unit

by the way.. did you ever find a strainer for the end of the pick up tube???

some ford dealers had them in stock...   long or short...  pushed over the end of the pickup tube...  if not.. have you extended the pickup tube with a length of tubing or fuel hose with an angled cut to prevent blockages... and allow the pickup to pull from closer to the bottom of the tank.....

GPster

Is the float sunk? The float on the sender in my Ranger was just plastic and it got a leak in it and filled with gas and stayed at the bottom of the tank. Replacement float were available for it so it must be a common problem. GPster