New Exhaust via new route for the `63 C-10

Started by Mac, July 12, 2009, 03:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

The old, almost rusted thru,  2" w/glasspacks out of stock rams horns, from the 283 hadda go.
I had some ceramic coated block huggers so I bought a 2.5" into 3" "Y" connector, a length of 3" pipe, a 3" muffler, some hangers and two 180+45 combo bends (one 2.25" and one 3"). All stainless. Cutting the 180's in half gave me 2) 90's in each size.
I planned an unconventional route, but figured the stainless would hold up to the tire spray.
Result was a much mellower tone. Still throaty, especially when juiced, but now I can play music or have a conversation at highway speeds.
Who\'s yer Data?

jaybee

Looks good.  Love those big pipes behind the tires, it's all business.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Leon

I like single exhausts.  The unequal lengths from one side to the other give the exhaust a distinctive tone.  I did that on my 54 and it sounds better than any dual (in my opinion 8) ).

Mac

Quote from: "Leon"I like single exhausts.  The unequal lengths from one side to the other give the exhaust a distinctive tone.  I did that on my 54 and it sounds better than any dual (in my opinion 8) ).

I like it too.
I did it mostly for the simplicity but it has really changed the personality of the truck. With the old, settled out  glass pack duals it had that blatty, bad * sound.  Sometimes, under load, like pulling a hill at 3k RPM, it sounded to me like a working `63 C-60.
Now the tone is more, I guess, modern performance. Probably the stainless has something to do with that.
Who\'s yer Data?