CV Boot repair. Cheap!

Started by Arnold, June 05, 2009, 10:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Speaking of cheap! repairs.

I had an fwd outboard CV boot that was old..then cracked/ripped..and had JUST started to throw grease. Not much. Joint was perfect.

Looked like axle out time. Those split boot repair kits were not available. Anywho..I asked a few people and they said NOTHING worked. Only took a few minutes to try. A few said that "Yellow Snot" works. lol..NO it did not work. Seeing as how I already had some plain Permatex Automotive Clear silicone around. (WHAT!! is with the price of that stuff in Canada..I pay with tax close to  $15 OUCH for the tube that goes in my gun. ) Cleaned the boot off with lacquer thinner..got some silicone on my finger and went to work. Smoothed it out pretty good. Only took a few minutes Let it set overnite Got the razor knife out..cut some of the excess off..puttied on a nice smooth coat with a knife.

Drove it checked it. Ditto. Let the intervals grow. Cleaned the grease off that had been thrown and jsut watched for that. Sprayed it with silicone spray when ever I serviced it.

ROFL..then the other side started leaking too..like that was a surprise not. The other side started leaking at the inside end of the outward boot. I could not find this leak! Until I got poking around and found  that the axle had rusted/rotted right where the clamp was and the grease was coming out UNDER the seal lip where it was rusted/rotted. Off with the clamp..peeled back the boot..cleaned it up..siliconed it up..inside and out and over the lip and the shaft..

Lasted for at least 1 1/2 yrs..50 k..was still perfect when I junked the car

Arnold