Exhaust System Patching..High Temp Epoxy??

Started by Arnold, June 03, 2009, 11:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Is there really anytbing that works?? Cement wise. Epoxies? I have never tried any epoxies. Do any of them work? High temp epoxies? I am pretty sure that over the last 40 years I have tried every muffler cement..or other concotion imagineable or available. They are the same..including the so called Hi temp ones. They last for a very short while. Screen/wrapping metal around and clamping it..been there done that.

I have a beater I need to get through emmissions..and certified. It is not objectionaly noisy..but it has to be better.

I might be able to patch this up just for a short trip to te emmission centre. Might. I don't thibk this one is worth an attemp to patch it with cement etc. Epoxy..maybe.

The cat is part of the front pipe.  With 2  02sensors in it. There is a bracket factory welded to this pipe. It is on the inside and not accessible. This bracket bolts to the aluminun oil pan. The bracket broke at the pipe and the pipe cracked  Can't get in  to weld it. The studs on the ex manifold where the cat bolts to are pretty much toast. too.

I was thinking if I could somehow get some epoxy or something else that woild work in there and on this crack then maybe I can keep this car for a bit. I would really like to do that!

I can afford another car..but this one ain't worth putting an exhaust manifold on..or re-studding the old one and taking this apart to patch it or putting a cat and front pipe on.

Thanks for any help..
  Arnold..

wayne petty

soak the exhaust studs with wd40...  

have you tried some of the low end muffler shops???????   spelled... mofle  and pipas...

many lower end shops have the ability to do the impossible,,,

i have taken exhaust off cars to get them properly welded...

sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and remove stuff to get it fixed properly.. even if it is a beater...

with exhaust leaks near the oxygen sensors... or upstream from the oxygen sensors...   and your saying that there are 2... must mean it's and OBD2 car... those will fail smog with exhaust leaks.. you might even have to clear the codes and drive it for another 2 weeks before all the OBD2 onboard tests are completed and passed... you can check them with a scan tool.....

enjenjo

Wayne, I am familiar with Ontario rusty VS California rusty. My guess is the exhaust studs are less than 1/2 the original diameter, and will have to be replaced if he even touches them. The local parts store carries mufler bandage which works pretty good on beaters. You soak it in water, and wrap it around the pipe, molding it in place with your hands, then let it dry. It lasts for a few thousand miles
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

bowtietillidie

I am a retired boilermaker .  I worked in a lot of electric generating stations
We used a product to repair heat damaged areas.   It was mixed up just like bondo .  The area was cleaned and the product applied .  Sometimes it was applied where direct boiled heat was on it .  I have seen repairs like that last over a year  That was under extreme conditions other places, it lasted yrs
 Now for the bad news.........    I can't remember the full name of this product  .      All I remember is we called it Shamrock.   I believe it is made in Ireland  As a side note this stuff gets hard enough to machine
BOWTIETILLIDIE

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "bowtietillidie"I am a retired boilermaker .  I worked in a lot of electric generating stations
We used a product to repair heat damaged areas.   It was mixed up just like bondo .  The area was cleaned and the product applied .  Sometimes it was applied where direct boiled heat was on it .  I have seen repairs like that last over a year  That was under extreme conditions other places, it lasted yrs
 Now for the bad news.........    I can't remember the full name of this product  .      All I remember is we called it Shamrock.   I believe it is made in Ireland  As a side note this stuff gets hard enough to machine

Would that be the refractory they use in boilers?  I've seen the boiler repair company use it at work, and I seem to remember seeing the name Shamrock on it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

bowtietillidie

No refactory is made from fire clay and a plastic binder.  Shamrock is made to repair worn of cracked parts.   This stuff looks like body filler and is mixed the same way .  It withstands heat up to about 1000 degrees F.
  It wears like iron and can be machined.  It is applied just like body puddy
and hardens by chemical heat .   I'll see if I can find info on the internet .
I'll post this info,  if and when I find it .   As I write this I remember Shamrock made several different products .  They may also make a plastic refactory  I just don't remember
BOWTIETILLIDIE

C9

Take a look through an MSC (Manhattan Supply Company) catalog.

Paper is best, but there is one online.

They carry a myriad of alloy specific epoxies.

Good chance they may have the high temp stuff.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

crdnblu

Also check out this site; a selection of PERMATEX products for your application:

http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the exhaust sealing products, but I've had excellent results with any & all PERMATEX  products that I've used over the years.

Arnold

Thanks! for all the help guys!

Wayne..lol..been there. Taken ex. systems off cars to patch them back up.Had to have stiff made. Then put them back on. lol..This car aint't worth that haha. Dealt with plenty of ex man studs. Agreed for sure on what some lo end shops can do..with cash and no receipt.

As Frank says.."Ontario rust". S. Ontario ..salt capital of the world. Just to add to that problem. They spray the roads too now..and add sand to the mix now. Excellent NOT for wheel bearings

I have used that muffler bandage..lol..I think I have some here..I don't think I have room to use it here..esp getting it around the bracket

Those other ideas..if I dig and get some more info.. sound tasty

Thanks..Arnold..