HIDDEN ANTENNA

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, April 28, 2009, 11:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Looking for an hidden antenna that really works, does anybody have any experience with any? How about the Dakota Digital?

kb426

I tried one several years ago. If you're more than 20 miles from a tower, they won't work. One of my disappointments. I use satellite or mp3 that is stored on a USB flash drive. I still have no external antennae.
TEAM SMART

Canuck

In a 47 Chevy Aero Sedan, used a cheap stick antenna laying just behind the back seat on the rear shelf.  Worked just as good if not better than a friends hidden antenna with it's built in amp.  Antenna was hidden under the material covering the rear shelf.

Just a idea.

Your results may differ.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

rumrumm

They work better in fiberglass cars than steel cars.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

chimp koose

my 76 dodge colt came from factory with the trunk lid used as a radio antennae. the trunk was insulated from the rest of the body with plastic fasteners etc.

Crosley.In.AZ

i used an inexpensive stick antennae mounted under the vehicle body on side of frame.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Okiedokie

On my 53 F100 I used a normal antenna under the fiberglass running board, mounted in rubber to isolate from the frame. Works fine on FM, lousy on AM. Joe

tompeters

i bought a new ford van back in 77,bare bones so i could do my own thing. if i remember right i found  a wire inside of what seemed like scotch tape at one of the van shops in town. there are no more van shops around , but with the right kind of clear tape you could make your own . the one i had worked very well as i recall. went around the edge of my windshield and was not noticable from the outside. good luck

Learpilot

My Dodge is all steel and the hidden antenna did not work. I could only get the strongest FM station in town. After the new paint I did not want a hole in the body, so I mounted a black antenna on my back bumper with a bumper bolt. When I go to a car show I loosen the nut and lay it down vertically. My own version of a hidden antenna.

chimp koose

could a guy not just take some thin wire like they used to use in the enclosed windshield antennae of the 70s,and push it up between the windshield and the window rubber on the inside of the car? Would it work if you put a lot of wire under the upholstery material on the roof insert ?

38HAULR

Just wondering how the heated rear window strips would go. Change it,s function to that of an antenna by connecting the radio co ax to what was the 12v power terminal,and disconnect the ground terminal.Ground the co ax shield as close as possible to the termination point.   .........Frank.

47convert

I've tried a couple different hidden antennas and niether one worked even with an amplifier. On my glass coupe I installed a regular antenna on the roll bar which is hidden inside the upholstery and it works fine, but that's glass. AM and FM signals travel in a vertical band, I believe and if I remember correctly, the FM wave is approximately 30 inches high, so mounting antennas horizontally doesn't work well either. I think the AM wave is much higher than FM so that explains why the horizontal antenna works a little better on FM. I've tried this unsuccessfully so many times that in the future I'm just biting the bullet and installing a regular antenna and if someone objects it's too bad.

sirstude

I manage to put power antenna's in all my hot rods, just put the second one in my Impala.  I didn't say I use the most expensive one, just a power antenna.  The reception is much better, and when the rig is parked the antenna is down.  Same result most of the time as the hidden antenna.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

I've got a hidden antenna behind the headliner in my truck and it doesn't work very good at all.  When I scrapped a buick last summer I took out the power antenna and am going to put that in when I get a chance.  I agree with Doug, they barely show when parked but work great going down the road.  

I vote for not wasting money on a hidden antenna for a steel car.
George