Charging system ?

Started by Fuzzy, May 26, 2009, 06:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

As the vehicle speed increases,the amp gauge will peg all the way to the +
side of the gauge.When the engine returns to idle,it stays in the center of the gauge.It's a 62 Chrysler,and there is a brown wire in the loom at the alternator that a previous owner has cut the terminal off.So far I haven't
traced it back to see where it originates.Might be hard to trace,the wire from the ballast resistor,had three splices,all different color wires,and the splices just twisted together.Any ideas?

Fuzzy
No billet for this kid!

wayne petty

early mopars use a mechanical voltage regulator that has ign power on one side...  and switched or pulsed positive output on the other wire that leads to the only push on terminal on the back of the proper alternator...

mechanical mopar regulator alternators have one push on lead on top of a brush holder...   the other brush holder is grounded any lacks any place to put a wire on it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

electric voltage regulator alternators have 2 wires..  one switched positive wire with battery voltage... the other wire connects to the electronic regulators side terminal... the center terminal is switched ign power.. the electronic voltage regulator switches the ground on and off to control the alternator output

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

how it all works...

the brushes contact slip rings that are connected to a coil of wire in the rotor....   pulsing voltage into that coil as it rotates creates a magnetic field...    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on your car    check for a steady input voltage to the voltage regulator...

do a voltage drop test between the alt output terminal and the batt +

set meter to 20 volt dc scale  one lead on battery + the other lead on the alternator output terminal with the engine running... less than 0.5 volts
would be a good reading....

test your battery voltage also.... engine off...  the engine  on, at idle and at  higher rpm...   post it

if the battery is not close to being fully charged... the alternator may try to peg the meter..

engine off...  run the headlights for one minute.. then turn them off...

12.65 volts is a 100% charge..
12.45 volts is a 50% charge,,
12.25 volts is a 25% charge.

with a fully charged battery... and a tight alternator belt...
engine idling.. you should have just over 14 volts at the battery...  but not over 14.5 volts when you rev the motor up....

Fuzzy

Thanks,Wayne.I'll have to put a meter on it and test it.I'm looking for a service manual to see what that brown wire is for.
Fuzzy
No billet for this kid!

wayne petty

Quote from: "Fuzzy"Thanks,Wayne.I'll have to put a meter on it and test it.I'm looking for a service manual to see what that brown wire is for.
Fuzzy

exactly which model 62 chrysler do you have..

i have diagrams for several..

on the 300, 300H , newport and new yorker...

there is a dark brown wire that goes from the back of the ignition switch to the wiper motor..

there is another brown wire from the heater switch to the blower motor...

edit... i just found another brown wire that leads from the alternator ground terminal... to the voltage regulator ground terminal...  

this additional ground wire keeps everything working at the same voltage ...

there is another brown wire from the turn signal switch connector to the right rear stop light bulb...

and yet another brown wire....

between the neutral safety switch on the side of the tranmission and the starter relay...

Fuzzy

I just ordered a manual off e-bay.It's only a Newport,something to drive while I continue the build on the Coronet.Thanks again,Wayne.

Fuzzy
No billet for this kid!