Is the cost of some cars shows keeping anyone home

Started by junkyardjeff, May 08, 2009, 09:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

The economy has little to do with my decisions. The value of the event is what determines for me if I'm going. Through out the years, the time to travel has had more impact on inclusions to my schedule than any other factor. Living in the middle of everything means you have to travel alot  to just about anything good. I'm in agreement with Denise on her choices. The unique events seem to have more to make them memorable than the more common ones.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

The last Nats I attended was in '88...I'm going this year to see the "Real" Nats one last time ...Des Moines for probably the last time ...( It's been pretty much the same show other than the fairgrounds "improvements" .. Concrete is better than grass ??? )   K-Zoo is a must if for no other reason than to see everybody & munch on Denise's cookies ..( And harass Frank.. :!:  :!:  :P ) ...
 The economy is an issue ...Gas IS going back up...( $2.59 here today) ..
Changing to a "one income" household has sorta put a crimp in our style so to speak...May sound funny but I have always enjoyed the "building & driving" part of street rodding more than the "polishing & parking" part...
I will be cutting back on major events & going to more local "park-look around & leave" type of events....Prolly more to see friends than cars ...
Gotta spend more time in the shop........

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

sirstude

I am cutting back this year I think, except I am going to 2 GG events.  I went almost every weekend last year to 1 or 2 one day events within a couple of hundred miles from home.  I found that I just got tired of being away every weekend, and not getting anything done on the Olds.  The dollars are always important, and like Denise, we are sharing rooms this year in Puyallup, and possibly Spokane.  And always share a room in Bonneville, don't know who is going with me this year, but sure planning on being there.  I think that if Denise was not going to Spokane this year, I would probably skip it, since I am going to Puyallup.  The gas prices will help if they stay down compared to last year.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

I just got back from a 250 car show near my home. 250 street rods could hold my attention for a while, but 250 cars with only about 25 that I want to look at doesn't cut it with me. I paid $15 to sit in the sun (no canopies allowed) for 6 hours with not much to look at. There were 2 vendors, a vinal sign supplier, and a GM/Ford new crate motor supplier.
I would much rather spend the bigger bucks for a big show where I knew the day was not going to be a drag. My days off are numbered and I want to use them to the max. Next year heaven forbid I may not be able to do these things. Live life to the fullest, your aren't getting any younger!
Sharing rooms can save some bucks, but I don't sleep with other guys so if there are 2 beds it means 2 guys. 2 more gals could present another option. Once you put 4 to 6 guys in a room someone is sure to snore, then they are the only ones that get any sleep.

My most expensive trip; Bonneville Speed Week. 3600 miles if I drive or air fare and car rental. 9 days minimum motel and food expenses. It really doesn't matter what it costs for my membership. The other expenses make that part unimportant. Would I miss it this year? Not a chance! Go Hooley!

river1

Quote from: "Beck"Once you put 4 to 6 guys in a room someone is sure to snore, then they are the only ones that get any sleep.

that's me :roll:  :roll:  i know i snore like a BIG bear so i try not to share a room.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat rat

Quote from: "Beck"
Sharing rooms can save some bucks, but I don't sleep with other guys so if there are 2 beds it means 2 guys.

!

My feelings also
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

reborn55

This year we are cutting back--but not because of money--too many family events on the weekends of the shows we scheduled in January--weddings, anniverseries, graduations, etc.  So I will put the money aside from not going to the planned shows and put it toward some new and different shows for next year.  Only going to Louisville and GGs Bowling Green the rest of the year. We have found out that staying a little farther away from the show will save on motel accomodations.  We have found the local shows are raising thier prices accordingly,  can't figure out why yet..I am sure there will be many benefit car shows this year after the 5 county area got hit by a bunch of damaging storms last week.  Enjoy