Engine number location

Started by bucketmouth, May 12, 2009, 07:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth

I've got a 84 mustang motor in my 34 coupe. I'm trying to find the engine No but to no avail. I'm told the No is at the rear of the block between the two heads.
I can't spot it, can someone tell me if I'm looking in the correct location or even show me a picture of where it is.

cheers
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

enjenjo

Are you looking for a VIN number?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

bucketmouth

We call it a engine No that all engines have stamped on the engine block somewhere.
On the title I have a VIN 615267 but I'm guessing that is for the car not specifically the engine.
In this case it's supposed to be on top at the rear of the engine block but with the engine so close to the firewall I can't see that well.
Any help locating the No would be appreciated.

enjenjo

As far as I know Ford has not stamped a number on engines in the US for 40 years. At least none that I have owned had one. Ford used a paper tag glued to the rocker cover for internal identification, and some had an aluminum tag bolted to one of the intake bolts. I usually use the casting numbers to identify them. On a Windsor, the casting number is just above the starter on the side of the block. Others may have more info.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

You will not find a number on the block. I went through this 2 years ago. The number on an original valve cover sticker is all there was. If the covers have been changed or the sticker is illegible, you're done.
TEAM SMART

38HAULR

This problem comes up over here in Vic  frequently also bucketmouth. Aussie rego authorities insist on an eng number. Even the Roadworthy tester. You usually have to have one allocated. Far easier before you go through the drama is to give it a number yourself . Incorporate the Vin  # with some Alpha prefix .......Frank.

bucketmouth

Thanks guys for that, a friend of mine has a 84 Mustang and told me there was a number on the block. I think he must have been talking about the casting Nos.
I"m gonna do as 38HAULR said.
Thanks again for the info.

The Paisano

I got 2 - 5.0's GT's  in my garage.I'll check them both and give you a buzz back.
Paisano

The Paisano

The guys are right,all I found were casting mumbers.No serial numbers to speak ok.I looked a boyj the 5.0' s in the garage and both check the same.
Paisano

bucketmouth

Well there we have it. I'll have to stamp my own No on the block.
Thanks for the help guys. );b(