First mockup

Started by phat46, May 04, 2009, 05:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Did a mockup of my single seater project today. I finally got the beatup Model A frame cut apart. Someone had welded the front crossmember in along with all the factory rivets. The rear had been cut off and the same genius had welded about 40#s of square tubing back there. Once i got it down to the rails I dragged my 2.3 Ford motor out and set the pan at 5" off the floor. I put the rails on some jackstands and set them at about 23 inches wide in the front and about 30 at the rear. Dragged the banjo rear into place and set it on blocks. I put the '32 front axle inplace and put the old wire wheels on. Those wheels are shot, but I have a nice set of '35 wires, blasted and painted cream color. I set the sheet metal in place, the "boattail" is a 40's GMC truck hood. the cowl I found on a scrap pile, and the grille shell is the infamous Allis Chalmers. I got all the metal from the deer camp in the U.P. I have to cut the boattail where i have it painted black and outlined in tape to make the cockpit big enough. After a few adjustments i could actually get in it. I see that I willhave to move the shifter.  I think the first thing I will do is make the front suicide suspension and then figure out the rear suspension, that's gonna be a head scratcher. once i have those mounted I'll get the engine and trans set up and then make an open driveshaft conversion. once i get it that far along I'll have to rebuild the engine and get the rear turning freely, i think the brakes have rusted up. so far i have $200 in it.

river1

);b(  );b(

COOL!!
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Flipper

Crosley.In.AZ

looks like fun   and  tires/wheels  only on one side will be a problem.   :D
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tompeters

i agree about your wheels, you would have a hard time getting back home if you could only make right hand turns. great idea for that hood

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"looks like fun   and  tires/wheels  only on one side will be a problem.   :D

Yeah, might pull to the left a little!!!

Grandadeo

I really enjoy watching a project go from a a few pieces/parts and an idea to a finished project,  The pics below are of a friend of mine's 1912 Oakland Roadster Pickup.  It started life as the rusty front half of an Oakland touring body, minus doors that he spotted at Daytona a few years back.  We wondered why he would bother to look at it twice, but he was in love.  The finished product is pretty neat.  Since they never made a 1912 Oakland RP his license plate reads "1 OF NONE"  That's his son and grandson in it at another friends annual BBQ.

Can't wait to see more pics of your single seater.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

freddrew

It looks better than the last time I saw it.  Looks good!  Just got back from Knoxville.  My driving is the same, but my swimming has improved.  Rain, rain and more rain.

Fred
Fred