97 buick dome light switch

Started by enjenjo, April 24, 2009, 11:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

A buddy has a 97 Buick Lesabre, the dome light stays on, and the alarm says a door is ajar. Where are the switches for the door? nothing stands out as being a switch in the door opening. TIA
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Frank, I've got the same problem with my '99 Ford Ranger; no door switch to be found.  Plus, sometimes the dome light just comes on by itself while going down the road.  Ya gotta love these 'puter driven vehicles... :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I thought those switches were built into the door latch mechanism
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

As far as I know Tony is right it is in the latch.

enjenjo

Well, I took a look at it today, didn't have much time, he is going to leave it here sunday night. The only symptom is the dome lights stay on all the time. It started after he got the car detailed, so I suspect they pulled something loose while cleaning the car. I'll see what I can find.

The Paisano

the problem on your 99 Ranger is the door adjar switch loocated in the door lock latches of either the left or right door.cheapest fix I know before you replace them is to squirt some "CRC" the stuff that free up rusted nuts and bolts.If you want to do it right,replace the switches by remove toe door p[anel and takening the lower left glass track off and conter clockwise turn the switch, and clockwise snap it back in.
Some modelas of Rangers didn't have door adjar switches on the right door.So try the drivers first.Good Luck.
Paisano

The Paisano

Sorry I forget to mention to squirt the stuff in the door lacth mechision and open and close the door a couple times to squirt again if you have to,repeat.
Had a "SENIOR MOMENT" there for a second.
Paisano

enjenjo

Well, I worked on it today, for several hours. Found you can't disconnect it, can't bypass it, and I still don't know what the malfunction is. So I did the next best thing, I pulled the bulbs out. I did lube up the door latches and switches, I'll get back on it when I get smarter.

The Paisano

What happens is road dirt gets in there throught the latch as your going down the road and jams up the little plunger on the switch and makes it stick closed.The latch in the open and close postion is what operates the switch.I used to run into this problem all the time,when working for Fomoco.The door adjar swicth body is made of metal and where the conncector goes is plastic.Its a very strong,tight switch.
Paisano