700r4 Help Needed, Stays in 3rd Gear too Long

Started by acr, June 01, 2009, 10:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acr

My mild 350 SBC hot rod has 700r4 that works great except for one annoyance. In normal around town driving with a 3.50 rear gear & light throttle it won't shift to 4th until 65-70 MPH unless I let off the gas. It also down shifts to 3rd at about 45 MPH. It has the B&M governor kit w/the green spring & #3 weight.
Should I change the spring to blue & weight to the heavier #2, or just the spring? Any ideas how much either will drop the shift points?
Thanks in advance.

WINGNUTZ

Quote from: "acr"My mild 350 SBC hot rod has 700r4 that works great except for one annoyance. In normal around town driving with a 3.50 rear gear & light throttle it won't shift to 4th until 65-70 MPH unless I let off the gas. It also down shifts to 3rd at about 45 MPH. It has the B&M governor kit w/the green spring & #3 weight.
Should I change the spring to blue & weight to the heavier #2, or just the spring? Any ideas how much either will drop the shift points?
Thanks in advance.

Since I don't know about B&M's kits... I would consult directly with the 800 number... or you might be able to get answers right on their WEB site!

Let us know what you find out....

Crosley.In.AZ

in the governor... the inner springs affect shifts of light throttle the most under 35 mph ( approx) .... lighter springs = later shifts

the inner weights affects shifts the most over 35 mph.... lighter weights = later shifts

there is some variation with gear ratio and tire size  on the 35 mph figure I quote.

3rd gear is fickle in the 4L60 trans... some times a spring change on the actual shift valve inside is needed.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

acr

Crosley, Thanks for the reply, tire diameter is 28", rear gear 3.50. With my gears & tires, & over 35MPH, should I try the heavier weight first? And I will call B&M.

Quote from: "Crosley"in the governor... the inner springs affect shifts of light throttle the most under 35 mph ( approx) .... lighter springs = later shifts

the inner weights affects shifts the most over 35 mph.... lighter weights = later shifts

there is some variation with gear ratio and tire size  on the 35 mph figure I quote.

3rd gear is fickle in the 4L60 trans... some times a spring change on the actual shift valve inside is needed.