Laptop computers

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 02, 2021, 02:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Any body purchase a laptop recently?

This one I use now is fading away. 12 yrs old as I recall... Key board numbers are breaking , the "P" is missing and can be difficult to get the "P" to work.  ;D

A screen of diagonal measure at 15 inches is preferred. Touch screen is not needed or wanted.

Memory size of the laptop must not be a large need of mine.  This one still has 600gig of open memory.. There are so many units listed.  Not sure if any are actually in stock.

Tablet is a No go for me. Tried one years ago, we did not get along.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

All I can offer is my current take on buying electronics in general: Buy from a repair shop ( cell phone / computer / laptop repair ). Spare yourself the research efforts and just walk into that bilingual hole in the wall, being white and speaking english. They can cope and if one don't have what you're after, the next one will. In my limited experience, its a better dice roll than new and the price is more reasonable than outlandish.
Matt

58 Yeoman

My wife seems to always buy Dell, I buy Toshiba. We both have 17" screens, but I also have a 15" in the ebay room. Mine are running Win7, hers Win10. Hers updates anytime it wants, then usually reboots, but not always. Mine will update if something comes up, which is now seldom, but it still works great. She seems to have more problems than me, both with Dell and Win10, but knows a lot about puters. Not much help for you Tony, but for me, I'm sticking with Toshiba.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

We have used HP , Dell , Samsung, Toshiba products.  Had an Acer brand laptop yrs ago. That was my first and last Acer brand of any product period.

This ol Samsung is chugging along.. It burped a few weeks ago. I was able (tech idiot) to perform a restore on this laptop and get it working correctly again.

Apple products are out of my price range. I have a 2010 Mac Mini computer. it is in storage as I do not have room on this RV for a proper desk area for a monitor. Even the printer is up stored in the loft of this RV.. We get the printer down to use it and hope the ink cartridges are not dried out again.
Tony

jaybee

Sounds like nearly all the known brands would get the job done for you. You might want to buy ASAP while you can still get a Windows 10 machine. What I've heard about the upcoming debut of Windows 11 doesn't impress me at all. Microsoft has a habit of every other major Windows update being a dud. Not always, but they've had more than enough. My money says Windows 11 won't be remembered well.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Yeah service ended on 7 long ago. I don't hate 10 because my box's net card was zapped by lightning couple years back. Newer OS leave me kind of like vehicles do... no current offerings of any interest. 10 can't decide whether its for mobile or desktop and doesn't even know which it is installed on. Android stuff is probably best for people who never used Windows but there ain't much it can't do. Fast.

FWIW, Lenovo now is the descendant of IBM (Dad retired from) if that means anything to anyone. Seems like decent hardware.

The only Apple thing I ever had was a very well made and long lasting piece of electronics but everything they make is immediately obsolete, it seems.

Hope you find what you like, or like what you find.
Matt

416Ford

When I was looking for mine, I asked the IT guys at work and they guided me to Lenova's. The new windows is coming out soon, not sure if it is better to wait for that or quickly buy the old software and save the money.   $.02
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

chimp koose

Why not buy one of those cheap plug in keyboards that will plug into your existing laptop ? I have a big print version plugged into my work computer that has worked great for years . In fact it has outlived 2 laptops so far . I bet it was less than $5 at a dollar store 8)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: chimp koose on October 04, 2021, 06:18:01 PM
Why not buy one of those cheap plug in keyboards that will plug into your existing laptop ? I have a big print version plugged into my work computer that has worked great for years . In fact it has outlived 2 laptops so far . I bet it was less than $5 at a dollar store 8)

Good idea..  I had not thought of that. Problem with my current living quarters is space ,, the lack of space in this RV. I dont have space to use a mouse. I sit on the couch and use this laptop.  More sppace will happen in the near future when we move out of this RV.

8)
Tony

enjenjo

My wife has both a chrome book and a windows machine. she prefers the windows machine. It's an Acer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Acer laptop I had many yrs ago... worked well.  The case and lid just fell apart, plastic cracked to the point it was a pain to use
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Well, my laptop has quit... Keeps telling me it has errors on the disk drive and is repairing them.  For 10 hours it has been repairing them.

I dug out my 2010 Mac Mini computer from storage. Setup a makeshift desk in the toyhauler garage. It is a folding  cooking stand with side tables.

Then I had  trouble logging in. the RRT kept telling me it could Not verify my URL ?
Tony

jaybee

Looks like it's decision time.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Canuck

Just a word on Lenovo.  My previous computers, both Lenovo, Desk top never had a problem, laptop had a bad disk drive shortly after getting it and a bad battery a few months later.  Both rectified quickly under warranty (disk drive at our kitchen table).

Replaced desktop with Dell (got a smoking deal when daughters firm re-organized) with no problems.  Laptop replaced with new Lenovo laptop.  Numerous problems that Lenovo tried very hard to rectify, final decision was to replace unit.  New one had problems with speakers, replaced quickly (again at our kitchen table).  Nearly 2 years old now with no further glitches.

We all know that every manufacturer can have problems, the issue is what they do about them.  I feel that Lenovo has stood behind their product excellently and I would not hesitate to buy one again, even if they are a Chinese firm now.

This opinion is based on nearly 40 years of working in IT Networking, and the associated exposure to PCs of every make.

Best advice, sit down and list what you are looking for in a PC and what you want it to do.  Look at the top brands, Lenovo, HP, Asus, Acer, Dell, etc and see what is available locally and how you feel about the vendors.  Read the reviews Consumers, Zdnet, PC Magazine (online), PC world, PCReview, MobileSyrup and don't forget a good one, your friends and their experience locally.  There are a lot of good brands out there, good support makes them excellent.

A further note, Watch for delivery times, there is a lot of stuff on Back Order these days with delivery dates far out or even unknown.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/