my bonneville 17

Started by chimp koose, November 11, 2021, 01:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

just some pix from my bonneville trip in 17 . This is the car I was crewing on A/fuel roadster

kb426

TEAM SMART

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

sirstude

Is it running alky, nitro, or just pulling the tape off the fuel cap?  How big is the motor, I know the range but not the exact cubes?
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

We had a rough week having spun out once . We heard from others at the hotel that it was probably the worst year anyone knew of for spins . Seemed to be worse on the shorter wheelbase cars . We heard that by mid week they had run out of spin tags .  This one is just a 468" BBC on methanol . About 860 HP . The car has gone 200+ on the short track  but the record was 260+ . When this car was built the record was 232 and this car was quite capable of that . I was there to help and take in the experience . My kind of place . I was there with a friend who I helped on a BB /FC in the early 90s and also a former machining student of mine who is now married to my friends daughter . The daughter is the driver . Ill be back some day .

Beck

My trips to the salt on Hooley's crew are some of my fondest memories. I will cherish them forever, awesome place, super crew members, and an experience of a lifetime. All motor-heads should experience it.

chimp koose

I like to think of it as the last bastion of amateur motorsports . Nobody doing interviews at the end of each run listing off all the sponsors and changing logo ballcaps every few seconds . A neat place for a bunch of gearhead fabricators and mad scientists trying to do better than last year as a personal goal . These days I am more interested in getting a sweet tune on a race car rather than winning any races . The guy I am going to help next summer feels the same.

chimp koose

KB sorry I missed your question . We went 150 mph through the 3 mile on the long course ..... BACKWARDS. One chute tangled in the headers and burned off a lanyard . We got it fixed and made another run but the experience of looking at a blossomed parachute through the windshield  @ 150mph made the driver a bit more cautious the next run . It got a bit squirrely and she aborted the run . Wise move.