Battery drain on 01 Taurus

Started by purplepickup, November 13, 2016, 07:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

This is my winter daily driver and if I don't disconnect the battery in the summer it goes dead. Today I decided to check for amp draw with my multimeter and pulling fuses. Fuse 16 (Flasher and GEM Power, Integrated Control Panel [ICP] Power, RCC Memory, Cluster) is drawing about 1.36 Amps. This is after sitting for an hour after running, key out, doors closed, & nothing plugged into the cigarette lighter sockets.

Does anyone know how to diagnose it further to find the actual culprit? The fuse description is almost greek to me but I do know that I can't just run without the fuse.
George

wayne petty

OBD2 cars.. 96 and up require a different method if you don't have a low amp current probe to measure parasitic draw..

http://www.aeswave.com/Current-Probe-Low-range-with-Banana-Plugs-p9501.html

i use a rig that involves a HF battery switch... some banana plugs on test leads. to plug into a digital volt meter at least 10 amp DC jacks .. HF37772 has 20 amp DC..

let me link an image.. http://i.imgur.com/ksgo1gC.jpg

instructions to use it..

engine off.. disconnect negative battery cable.. connect the cables to the end of this test jig ... so the big switch is in series in the negative side..

with the switch closed(ON)  the bananas safely away from the positive.. not plugged into the meter jacks yet.. start the engine... let the engine run for a minute.. i usually roll the drivers window down.. but that is just because i have been locked out..  shut the key off and take them with you as you get out of the car... lock the doors as you would normally..

look at your watch ... note the time.. in 7 minutes.. walk over and plug the bananas into the proper ports of the amp meter... turn the amp meter on..  flip the big switch off.  all the current is now going thru the amp meter as the car has been shut down in a normal mode..  

note.. you are not holding the test leads against the battery cables anymore so you are now free to start pulling fuses to identify the parasitic draw circuits.. you may end up needing to pull the dome light fuse and redo the test..  so you can open the door to get at the inside fuse box..

when you disconnect the battery... you turn off some things in a Non normal way..  with that much current draw... i would think.. aftermarket car stereo..  aftermarket car alarm..  or something screw that might keep the Gem module powering stuff..

if you hold the test leads to the battery cables without this set up.. the GEM module could be causing you issues but you would still have to pull fuses on that to see what is staying awake..

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-battery-cutoff-switch-66789.html

leaving a car all summer and expecting it to start is not going to be an easy thing to do..

this might help...

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-three-stage-onboard-battery-charger-maintainer-99857.html

purplepickup

Thank you Wayne. I do have a battery disconnect switch on the car and use it in the summer along with a float charger. That works but without it the battery would be dead in 3 or 4 days. Being retired, I don't drive as much and once in a while I'll have a dead battery...usually on a nasty winter day. That's why I decided to look into it.

I did the parasitic draw test similar to the way you suggested to find the drain at fuse #16. I have no aftermarket devices and I was stumped on further diagnosing. I read enough online to realize it gets complicated checking GEM module, etc. I took the car to a trusted shop yesterday to have them look into it. If it gets expensive I'll just start using the shutoff switch more diligently.

Thanks again for your help Wayne.
George

wayne petty

with fuse 16 the cause... then its into the wiring diagrams to see what devices and fuses are down stream from 16.

probably have to set up the tester again.. and pull fuses one at a time inside the car.. i will look around and see if i can spot some of the stuff..  this has to be easier than the countach i untangled the wiring issues mechanic related on..

in looking at the wiring diagrams fuse F216 in the Central junction block

powers pin 4 of the GEM module.. but also powers

the Remote Climate control module. ? RCC????  i don't know what that actually is..  C288 connector.  A321 device

the instrument cluster  C220a connector  A30 device

the multi function switch.. (turn signal stalk switches not necessary the turn signals but other things on the various stalks)  C202a Connector N442

the integrated control panel..  C2009 connector P78 device

these are circuit #385   white with red stripe..

that is if the fuse was #216 on the inside of the car...

perhaps this will help..

i think you are the only RRT member i have met in person.