critters

Started by idrivejunk, April 29, 2023, 10:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Amazing birds. They're not quite rare in the Upper Midwest, but uncommon enough to be notable when you see them. It doesn't hurt that they're amazing and majestic.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

The town I live near is on the Illinois River, and quite a few eagles come here for the winter, for the open water.  A couple years ago, we were parked at the marina and counted over two dozen bald eagles across the river in the trees.  We haven't had that many since.  There is a large eagle nest about 3 miles south of me next to the state highway that gets used almost every year.

I took this picture over my house one day a couple weeks ago, as I was walking to the shop.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

jaybee

I made a day trip from Des Moines to Chicago and back 11-12 years ago on the Saturday before the Super Bowl. Taking I88 to hit the NW burbs, I saw 3 eagles within a few minutes. Each one was standing on the ice next to holes in the center of the water in Borrow Pits that had provided fill dirt to build the Interstate. Pretty smart birds, staying perfectly still, waiting for fish to swim past.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Matt