Craigs List spam

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 28, 2021, 12:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I put an item on Craigs list..  A sew machine , Industrial unit.

In 8 minutes I had 6 spam text messages. The words used, poor grammar, want to send me a google link to respond to or they want to a voice message with number....  it goes on.  I am sure most of the folks here have seen / heard of this?

Or: their message goes on as tho I am the spammer and they are testing me.

Drives me crazy.  I hate craigs list.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, I'm not very knowledgeable about all things Craig's list but I only use the reply to email through Craig's. I don't get the stuff you just described. I also don't live in your area. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Many years ago (12 or so) the spam was not a problem...  

Today I tested that goofy spelled out  phone number in the ad :  6zero2  ..  I had read that it does not help reduce the spam.  I can confirm it does not.

years back I would use only the email function. No phone number in the ad or listed in the hidden "respond to" box.  When I did that there would be email sent to me "beaching" about NO phone number in the ad. I would respond to the email with my phone number and usually no phone call happened.  I guess they just wanted to beach at me?

the area codes that were spam texting me were from : Arkansas, Illinois,  Georgia, New Mexico.. Really probably from Nigeria , at least overseas

End of the day:  I sold stuff.  Call that win with a few PITA spammers
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

We Had dinner with my buddy & his wife  tonite. He is the one  that loves Craigs List..

He admitted the usual process is: 4 to 6 spam text messages that are easy to spot...  Then 1 or 3 low ball offers ... then the real buyers start. He spent decades in sales field , so he deals with idiots better.

I have taken stuff to him to sell for me since I dislike the process of Craigs List. He makes money , my stuff is sold. He likes the haggle part of sales.  Funny thing is he stopped going to Swap Meets years ago: selling or buying. Says it got to be too much BS.  :lol:
Tony

58 Yeoman

I've got 2 GM alternators and 2 GM starters and one Ford starter on CL for $10 each. No takers for a couple months. When time comes to take all my non-ferrous metal to the scrap yard, they will all be going along for the ride.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I've got 2 GM alternators and 2 GM starters and one Ford starter on CL for $10 each. No takers for a couple months. When time comes to take all my non-ferrous metal to the scrap yard, they will all be going along for the ride.

Yes, I would agree with you. I have not been able to sell any alt or starters in recent years at any price. I guess the budget import stuff has taken over? Many items like this went into the scrap metal bin at work.

:!:
Tony