Visors at speed

Started by idrivejunk, February 23, 2019, 01:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Most of you are probably aware of the 3/2" chopped 1930 Model A coupe bodywork job I am working on, and that it will use a ribbed metal roof insert.

It is planned as having the windshield visor welded on all the way across the rear edge. A bedded windshield will be used.

My concern is at what speed would /could air flow exert potentially damaging force on the visor? :?:

If what we've planned is good for a 150 MPH burst, I'm certain it will live. But a couple days at 80 MPH?

I have zero experience with visors. Ventilation seems logical. I got the idea to mount it like a close-fitting wing mounted on pedestals, maybe 3.

Is this or isn't it, something to be concerned about? Everyone please share any relevant thoughts or experiences.

Thanks, gents.  8)
Matt

chimp koose

My T will have a bigger visor . I would like to know as well . I don't think there should be a problem as the flat front windshield should blast a big hole in the air but I am just speculating .

kb426

My 32 is an early model. There is no brace on the visor. The later ones have a brace in the center. I can tell you mine didn't come off at speeds well above 80. It does shake running down the road at 70 mph.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Mine had a couple blasts over 130mph and many miles over 80 without any problems. I think the louvers helped but there really wasn't much air pressure on it, at least judging on how the rain just danced around on the windshield. It was only held on with pop rivets under the chrome moulding.

George

idrivejunk

These are good input, I'm learning now. Having given the windshield some thought today also, this is handy.

I now envision perhaps an almost horizontal panel going out to the visor from above the windshield frame. Using oh lets say half the height of the roof front panel where it tilts forward behind the visor... so about half of that void is closed off. It could angle down in front and go all the way across, hugging the inside of the visor and meeting it down at the bead. That would probably tolerate anything thrown at it and be rock steady on the interstate. The roof insert will have a row of plug welds at the front, going to a flange strip underneath that connects the roof front panel so that area is sealed

Thanks for the tips and pic!

mmm, salt :)
Matt

Pete

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Most of you are probably aware of the 3/2" chopped 1930 Model A coupe bodywork job I am working on, and that it will use a ribbed metal roof insert.

It is planned as having the windshield visor welded on all the way across the rear edge. A bedded windshield will be used.

My concern is at what speed would /could air flow exert potentially damaging force on the visor? :?:

If what we've planned is good for a 150 MPH burst, I'm certain it will live. But a couple days at 80 MPH?

I have zero experience with visors. Ventilation seems logical. I got the idea to mount it like a close-fitting wing mounted on pedestals, maybe 3.

Is this or isn't it, something to be concerned about? Everyone please share any relevant thoughts or experiences.

Thanks, gents.  8)

My 30 2 door has a stock body. I have had it over 150 many times. No problem with the visor.
I can tell you one thing for sure, you will want to have your ear plugs in when traveling at that speed. The wind noise is deafening.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Pete"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Most of you are probably aware of the 3/2" chopped 1930 Model A coupe bodywork job I am working on, and that it will use a ribbed metal roof insert.

Thanks, gents.  8)

My 30 2 door has a stock body. I have had it over 150 many times. No problem with the visor.
I can tell you one thing for sure, you will want to have your ear plugs in when traveling at that speed. The wind noise is deafening.

Thank you Pete, for telling me what I needed to hear. It might get a simple center brace but thats it. Much obliged, sir.  8)
Matt

Hombre0321

my Model A has a blended in visor, this little car has made many, many 1,000 mile trips. A lot of those miles are at highway speeds for a lot of miles. You do not "NEED" a brace, I guess you could add one if it makes you feel better but it is not needed.
Protected people will "Never" be able to understand the intensity life "CAN" be lived at. To do that you must totally and completely understand the meaning of the word DUCK

idrivejunk

Quote from: "Hombre0321"my Model A has a blended in visor, this little car has made many, many 1,000 mile trips. A lot of those miles are at highway speeds for a lot of miles. You do not "NEED" a brace, I guess you could add one if it makes you feel better but it is not needed.

Thanks. I shall dismiss the thought, and thats a positive outcome for this thread.  8)
Matt

chimp koose

to everyone thanks for asking and thanks for the answers . This is all stuff i needed to find out .