Winter storage

Started by 58 Yeoman, October 24, 2006, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I took the top off my corn wagon today, as I was going to the seed company to top it off for winter burning.  Last summer, I had put mothballs into some old socks, and hung them under the wood/aluminum cover to keep out the mice.  There was mouse droppings in the wagon.

When I got to the seed company, my buddy there told me that it's not the smell, but when they get it on their feet and lick it off, that they don't like.  He would crush up 40 or 50 pounds and spread it around inside the building around the skids of corn to keep them out (mostly; there are still some in there).

Just a thought for some who store their cars or bikes over the winter with mothballs in/on them.  You might be better off spreading crystals around the vehicle.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

MY mice would just snort it.... :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

mopar2dr

Try some Peppermint Oil,available at healthfood stores. Put a few drops on cotton balls and place them in or around what you want to protect. All rodents can't stand this stuff squirrels,mice,rats and even ground moles. Make sure you use peppermint oil and not peppermint extract cause it don't work :!: Last winter was the first year I had no mice problems with my Dodge.
Gota keep a mouse or rat outa my MOPAR

PS wear latex or rubber gloves or you will have pepperminty hands for a week or more. :P
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

jusjunk

Quote from: "tomslik"MY mice would just snort it.... :roll:

Your mice need help :!:  We had a couch stored at grandmas for 2 winters and no mice so im pretty sure the coupe and the harley are safe.. I told sue to pick up some decon though . Thats what we did when the couch's were there but never did see any alive or dead mice........
Dave :!:  :arrow:

TJ's Dad

I love coming into this site and as we all speak fluent Hot Rod we understand one another ..  we know a trunk is a boot and a mudguard is a fender etc etc but when we go a little off topic i sit back n watch the replies until i usually get the gist is of whatever the topic is , but here i'm bamboozled ...... WTF is a 'corn wagon ' ?

I have a mental pic of a 57 Chev wagon loaded to the hilt with corn !!  :lol:  :lol:
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

58 Yeoman

It's for storing the corn for my corn burning stove.  I get my corn for free, so far, so it doesn't cost me anything to heat the house this winter.  I figure it's about 200 bushels; hope it lasts all season.

BYW, Mike, I'm going to see the hot rod tomorrow afternoon at 3pm.

Phil

TJ's Dad

Well I'll be buggered , i have never heard of burning corn , i imagine its the husk after rhe kernels are removed ...... the ol saying 'you learn something new everyday' comes to mind .

I await your assesment , I did phone the seller and am more comfortable knowing the reasons the other bidder reneged and as to why he has no feedback etc .... one thing of concern is as to why he didnt steel it out .
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Well I'll be buggered , i have never heard of burning corn , i imagine its the husk after rhe kernels are removed ...... the ol saying 'you learn something new everyday' comes to mind .

Nope over here in the mid part of the US it has become popular to burn dried corn kernels. It is cheaper than buying wood, and many of the high end furnaces are almost completey automatic. They will feed the corn into the burner.

Crosley.In.AZ

I want to thank you folks that stay in the snow / cold areas of the country.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jusjunk

Quote from: "Crosley"I want to thank you folks that stay in the snow / cold areas of the country.

Ya no problem from michigan and id like you to kiss.......
Dave :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :arrow:

Mr Cool

Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Well I'll be buggered , i have never heard of burning corn
You'll have to excuse Mike, he's a bit backwards, y'see, he lives out in the bush, still burns several truck-loads of wood every year to keep warm.

Over here its recently becoming popular to burn compressed sawdust pellets, a 10kg bag will go for nearly a week, very efficient.
Corn as a fuel is something Ive heard of a few times, but never seen one operating over here. Ive seen oil burning units, runs on waste oil from any garage or McDonalds etc that can be had for almost nothing, and diesel if you cant get waste oil.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

jusjunk

Quote from: "Mr Cool"
Quote from: "TJ's Dad"Well I'll be buggered , i have never heard of burning corn
You'll have to excuse Mike, he's a bit backwards, y'see, he lives out in the bush, still burns several truck-loads of wood every year to keep warm.

Over here its recently becoming popular to burn compressed sawdust pellets, a 10kg bag will go for nearly a week, very efficient.
Corn as a fuel is something Ive heard of a few times, but never seen one operating over here. Ive seen oil burning units, runs on waste oil from any garage or McDonalds etc that can be had for almost nothing, and diesel if you cant get waste oil.

a lot of the Mcdonalds stuff over here is mainly going to Bio diesel. Ive hears of the sawdust thing before also. I do know a couple guys with waste oil furnaces in thier shops. The problem is getting the waste and the more people that use it the harder it is to get. The guy I hunt with is into Bio Diesel. Makes his own with cooking oil and you have to add methanol to it also. He farms part time and cant keep up on making the bio cause he uses it too fast. One thing with the bio diesel.. It needs to be filtered really well. this guy knows from the repair bill on his truck!
Dave :arrow:

58 Yeoman

My corn stove will burn wood pellets, corn, cherry or olive pits (where do you find those in bulk?), soybeans and processed silage.  The wood pellets are almost $4 per 40 pounds, last time I checked.  I do keep a couple bags on hand, as it makes it easier to start the stove with the wood pellets.

My retired high school science teacher has converted an 80 something Mercedes diesel to run on recycled cooking oil.  He has an extra tank in place of the rear seat (station wagon), and all kinds of lines and switching valves to recycle the diesel or cooking oil to its' own tank, so as to not mix the two.  He didn't say anything about having to add methanol to it.  He did say that it runs quieter on the cooking oil, and gets about the same mileage as diesel.

And, he does have a very fine filter for the cooking oil.

Phil

jusjunk

This method uses methanol... Id hate to have to take my vehicle in for service cause there was a french fry in the injector system :oops:  :oops:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

slocrow

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Nope over here in the mid part of the US it has become popular to burn dried corn kernels.
We've been doing that for a long time. I first remember doing this corn burning around Christmas. You'd then string the result.
After that, a second more enjoyable experience was to assemble the resulting product in a container, usually add butter & salt and it was then consumed orally, while watching a celluloid movie.................. :roll:
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...