What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I decided that the oil canned hood was caused by shrinking rather that swelling.  I have now beat the hood up a lot and I have a giant mess that will take me days to fix and finish.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Arnold

Quote from: "kb426"I'm in the middle of a cold front. I'm doing things in the house, not outside. Only 6 months till summer. :)

Christmas Eve. -20C  1' of snow
  Christmas Day  -20C  1' of snow
  Boxing      Day  -20C  1' of snow
  Today               -20C  pretty close to 1' so far.

Forecast was for about 4" snow per day.

We have 4-4wd trucks..ya..don't be taking them out today. Thigh deep snow around them where the fellow that blows our lane with his good size tractor could not get any closer.Touristy area/ski resorts. LOTS! of citidiots..2wd vehicles and summer tires.

Had ANOTHER WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS :D Hope everyone else here did too :!:
  Went for a walk on Christmas day..saw a snowy owl close to our house :D Hope my fairly new to me/us..beloved,tough Siamese cat does not get any ideas about what tough is all about :roll:

kb426

Arnold, you win the prize! And it makes me feel good it's not me. :) I don't think I would last long with you fellows up north.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Snowy owl :!:  8)

It has been in the teens here. No getting warm in the house until weekends... space heaters... only use em when I'm here. Boy but does the shop get cold when the booth is running! Fuzzy shoe inserts are a helpful new to me discovery and they seem to help on the concrete slab.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I decided that the oil canned hood was caused by shrinking rather that swelling.  I have now beat the hood up a lot and I have a giant mess that will take me days to fix and finish.

John

Haul it down to Rogers and save your sanity  :?:  :idea:  :arrow:  :)

I was sure hoping you meant the practice hood. My money is still on you for the win, so to speak.
Matt

idrivejunk

Woops, I have pictures for you. Only a little...

Mustang engine bay shaved. Good riddance!

Last task on this '68 job is to fit these new side scoops. They are not terrible so I am probably only going to have to grind edges to fit them.

Matt

WZ JUNK

Stretched the oil can area and removed the oil can.  Worked the area that was stretched to remove the dents and imperfections.  The oil can came back.  Back to square one tomorrow.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

John is the oil canning lateral or longitudinal?
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

More skin cancer surgery done above my lip this am. Ten stitches to close it up. Looked really good before they put on the bandages. January 12th, I'll go in for more cutting on my nose. I probably won't need any plastic surgery on it. Hope George's plastic surgery turned out okay.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Boy I had ten stitches in my eyebrow once... and now we are back to the coconut oil conversation. Good luck with your healing up.

When an oil can spot isn't responding, I look for a dent around the last spot to move before it goes blomp. Just outside the zone that moves when you push down. It can be feet away from the center of the blompy spot and is likely to be closer to the edge of the panel. In the vast majority of cases, theres a faraway spot causing the trouble. Good luck with your healing on that also.

I had decent luck fitting new side scoops to the '68 today, without needing to add any material to them which is good. They did not look like they would fit but as with anything fiberglass, trimming is everything.

I definitely have a pic or two to post soon, but I'll spare you pics of the scoops.
Matt

sirstude

Just shoveled a 4ft drift from the alley, across the garage doors, up to and along the back porch so I could go to work.  Pretty sure I am going to pull the plug on this computer garbage  and retire about March.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"John is the oil canning lateral or longitudinal?

There are two at the back of the hood just off of center on each side.  There are basically round in shape.  Originally when you pushed down on one the other would pop out.  Yesterday I started with both of them not oil canning and I only worked on the right side of the hood.  My hands were swollen and I was tired at the end of the day, so I walked away.  I am trying to come up with a plan of attack for today.

I will look at Matt's suggestion first.  I welcome any other thoughts.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

Do not exclude the edge of the panel as a possible culprit, it sounds like your issue is close to the edge. Don't know if you have a rolled, folded, bent, or just cut edge, but especially in a case where the metal has already been worked, you may find that when shrinking and stretching was done, the edge of the skin held onto a little of it. Often striking the edge of a door skin for example, can have great effect where you'll get nothing working the face.
Matt

idrivejunk

John if I can toss one more thing out, its this... more important during filler work but... how the hood is supported can have everything to do with success. If you can install the hood then straighten it, your work will be truer than had you done it on a parts stand. As a happy medium at work, often we use two parts stands for one hood, just to support it in a way similar to what the hood side bumpers do. Because every panel is different and some matter, some don't. It is possible to be fighting something that goes away when latched and under tension from seals and such. Especially in the middle of the back of a hood skin where sagging is possible. Above all, quit before it hurts if you can.
Matt

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "idrivejunk"John if I can toss one more thing out, its this... more important during filler work but... how the hood is supported can have everything to do with success. If you can install the hood then straighten it, your work will be truer than had you done it on a parts stand. As a happy medium at work, often we use two parts stands for one hood, just to support it in a way similar to what the hood side bumpers do. Because every panel is different and some matter, some don't. It is possible to be fighting something that goes away when latched and under tension from seals and such. Especially in the middle of the back of a hood skin where sagging is possible. Above all, quit before it hurts if you can.

Good advise and thanks.  I had better luck today but I am not out of the woods or finished.  I have the hood mounted on a jig that I made just for this job.  It is anchored at the same locations as it would be if it was one the car.  I understand that it could move around some but I am hoping for the best.  Do to my age and my physical limitations I would be unable to do what I am doing if it was still on the car.  The jig allows me to rotate it to nearly vertical, side to side, and I can also anchor it horizontally, as if it were on the car.  We will see how it fits when it goes back on the car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck