They even crush new cars in Canada

Started by purplepickup, June 28, 2006, 09:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

There's some pics here  that show what happens when a Canadian National Railway train runs thru the stop block in a GM new vehicle staging area.  This was at the Oshawa, Ontario truck plant.
George

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

jusjunk

Quote from: "phat rat"link isn't working for me

me either......
Dave

purplepickup

Quote from: "phat rat"link isn't working for me
Ok.  I was trying to link to a document I had in an online storage site.  I guess it doesn't work.  The pics are in a Word document that one of our field service guys sent me...not the best way to post pictures. Oh well, I'll just delete the thread in a minute.

Edit * I just changed the link.  It might work now.  It's hard for me to tell since my computer "remembers" the document from when I uploaded it and I can see it.
George

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
The link worked fine for me! Wonder where a guy can buy some new truck motors w/transmissions? Thats about all that left of a couple of those trucks!
I used to live near Van Nuys, Calif. where the GM Plant is and one day, I saw a transporter truck full of GM cars that had flipped on it's side going up the on ramp to the freeway! That was a long time ago.

Bruce

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
The link worked fine for me! Wonder where a guy can buy some new truck motors w/transmissions? Thats about all that left of a couple of those trucks!
I used to live near Van Nuys, Calif. where the GM Plant is and one day, I saw a transporter truck full of GM cars that had flipped on it's side going up the on ramp to the freeway! That was a long time ago.

Bruce

When I taught Automotive Technology at the vocational school, I was able to get a 1976 GMC Suburban that went under a 12' 6" bridge on a transporter with a 13' 0" height and a 1977 Chevy 4X4 pickup that was on a transporter that rolled over donated to the school.

The kicker was, on the day the pickup was to be turned over, one of the instructors from the New England GM school in Dedham, Mass. showed up at 8 a.m. for a scheduled 1 p.m. "official transfer ceremony" for the benefit of the local newspaper.

I was able to shanghai him (actually he graciously offered) to bring my class up to speed on many of the newer GM systems.

If there are automotive teachers in the area with a little hustle, and a decent relationship with their local dealers, their schools should have benefited from donations of these vehicles.

Interestingly, the insurance regulations required that the vehicles be delivered to their original destination. We had to travel 300 miles R/T for the Suburban - which was way up in "Kiss Me Where It Stinks" (paper mills) Lincoln, Maine, but the pickup was right here in Augusta.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Rochie

George,
looks like the college I work at will be getting some new donations from GM.  We do their apprenticeship program and their in-service tech training for their "Great Lakes" division . We normally get about 40 "hurt" new vehicles a year.  Once we're done with them they are given to local high schools.  Good deal all around.
Wayne

jaybee

"Wonder where a guy can buy some new truck motors w/transmissions?"

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing.  I'd even be willing to pick through the pile, grab the one I want, and dispose of any bits I can't use!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

:lol: I woulda paid money to watch that!!! Can you imagine the noise it made!

58 Yeoman

I don't think that was an accident.  I think those are the first (failed) attempts at making the Chevy SUV/PU in the Chevy commercial, where the guy is looking at the SUV/PU combining into one vehicle (can't remember the name of the vehicle, though).

When I was in auto tech college in the early 70's, Ford donated a full size car that had backed off the top of a carrier truck, and smashed the bumper up to the rear window.  All Ford wanted back was the radio and tires.  Chevy also donated a Vega that had been on a railcar during a close-by explosion, rippling all the sheet metal.  I don't think they wanted anything back (go figure...Vega's were in high demand). :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil