Happy Veterans Day 2023

Started by WZ JUNK, November 11, 2023, 08:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Happy Veterans Day to all our member veterans. 

Photo of me a couple of weeks ago.  I was standing on the pier next to the old aircraft carrier that I served on.  It is hard to imagine that the ship is 80 years old.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

TEAM SMART

34ford

Thanks everyone for their service.

idrivejunk

Man them ships are huge.

Big thanks to all who served and eternal gratitude to them who fought. I and all my fellow civilians owe our respect.

Ate with Dad yesterday (AF, '58-62) and afterward a couple vets in the vestibule had a raffle signup table going. One was a mechanic on those dual rudder transport planes. All my uncles were USAF mechanics. Dad only ever told me he trained to be a diesel mechanic on earthbound things but yesterday he told the other vet that he was "in crypto".

I don't know specifically what that means but the root word is sufficient. Maybe I'll question him more on another day but I reckon during the cold war, crypto was big. And he put in 35 years at IBM fixing typewriters after that, when correcting ribbon was spy stuff. The Enigma Machine of course came to mind since I get my history off youtube.

Grandpa mostly only ever spoke of being drafted and Jeep / Garand training but was 30 when letter from President came and the need was on the Manhattan project in a way, involved with the Norden bombsight. All he ever spoke of was a kind of funny incident where a green Army gal was to drive him somewhere but there was a blizzard and she had never driven in snow so he took the wheel.

Blah blah blah...

Sa-lute. All my respect goes to all those men and women. Know that most of us fellow Americans are not forgetting.  :arrow:
Matt

enjenjo

There are only bout 100,000 US WWII vets left out of about 7 million that served
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Thanks to all the Vets and current service people.  We went and had lunch with my cousin and his wife; he was Air Force and I was Army.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

I thought this timely enough to post here. Our now guys are still on the ball and blazing the trail. It does qualify for the critter thread, by name anyhow, but fits best here.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/b-21-raider-has-flown-for-the-first-time

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/b-21-raiders-first-flight-what-we-learned
Matt

jaybee

Much appreciation to all those who've served.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)