A couple more pics.

Started by phat46, May 24, 2018, 07:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Here's two more paintings if anyone's interested. The coupe was my first try at acrylic painting.

idrivejunk

I like them both. Might be able to spot some learning curve there but from here... I like your eye for lighting. Wonder if those paints would allow hints of charcoal here and there, or colored pencil, or ink, over the paint. :?:  :idea:  :) :?
Matt

idrivejunk

What size are these, mostly? You framing any? Do you take requests? :D
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I like them both. Might be able to spot some learning curve there but from here... I like your eye for lighting. Wonder if those paints would allow hints of charcoal here and there, or colored pencil, or ink, over the paint. :?:  :idea:  :) :?

I have wondered the same, but I don't know enough about other media to try. I have used, in more recent paintings, a very fine line marker for some fine detailing. At first it was way too dark and obvious, but I learned it smudges with a finger to blend nicely. I use a finger to blend paint at times too, don't know if that's an accepted technique, but it works! 😀

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"What size are these, mostly? You framing any? Do you take requests? :D

The most common size I do is 16" X 20" although the coupe posted here is about 14"X 16". I have done a few at 18 X 24 and like that size, it allows me to make bigger more detailed images. I have framed a couple, and as of right now I haven't done any requests. I have had offers to buy some, and I probably should sell them, but I get too attached to them! 😄

GPster

No body has mentioned metal flake, candies or pearl yet! GPster

phat46

Quote from: "GPster"No body has mentioned metal flake, candies or pearl yet! GPster

...I have enough trouble with rust.....😜

idrivejunk

GPster, those were flake sizes we were just discussing. :shock:   :lol:

phat46, have you experimented with colored pencil then solvent? Like rubber cement thinner to smear Prismacolors. Strange as it may sound, your style in acrylics might lend itself well to markers. You know, the smelly kind. Ever play with a good set on good marker paper? They have a blending marker too.  It might drive you nuts or you might dig it. When I used acrylics I think I tended to go with either / or the washes or solid layers. Its been thirty years, man. I can probably locate proof but the class project subject matter might need explanation. :oops:
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"GPster, those were flake sizes we were just discussing. :shock:   :lol:

phat46, have you experimented with colored pencil then solvent? Like rubber cement thinner to smear Prismacolors. Strange as it may sound, your style in acrylics might lend itself well to markers. You know, the smelly kind. Ever play with a good set on good marker paper? They have a blending marker too.  It might drive you nuts or you might dig it. When I used acrylics I think I tended to go with either / or the washes or solid layers. Its been thirty years, man. I can probably locate proof but the class project subject matter might need explanation. :oops:

I have never tried those techniques, might be interesting. I took commercial art in college a lifetime ago, but it included very little painting, we did have one guy that was a genius with colored pencils. I tend to use solid layering with the acrylics with washes in background and things like cast shadows. I use smudging with a finger to blend, things like the sidewalks on tires,  but finally I am getting able to blend with a brush, it's very time sensitive though. I used to do a lot of pencil drawing years ago and occasionally find and old piece and think, "man I was pretty good", lol, not so much now. 😄

idrivejunk

Ah, good ol pencil. A soft one makes me want to draw. Best thing is you have kept an edge on your abilities over the years. Any skills I may have had once would need a soak in the hot tank before loosening up. Stay at it and keep trying things because exploring a new medium now and then will sure help you stay sharp.
Matt