Bending 3/4 inch copper tube

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 04, 2006, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

What do y'all think?

Fill the tube with water or sand , then seal the ends tightly shut?

I want a 180 degree smooth bend about 3 foot diameter with NO kinks in it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"This soft copper?

sure.....
Tony

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Crosley"What do y'all think?

Fill the tube with water or sand , then seal the ends tightly shut?

I want a 180 degree smooth bend about 3 foot diameter with NO kinks in it.

If you are using "soft temper" copper tubing (coiled tubing), you should be able to bend it to that radius with no problem, and not need to fill the tubing.   ......Filling with sand may make the task easier.  ........Gradual bending around an object of the correct diameter should give good results.  

If the copper is "work hardened" you can anneal it by heating it to a dull red and quenching, but a black scale will usually appear on the copper.

If you are trying to bend "hard temper" copper (straight lengths), I don't think you will be successful unless it is formed between dies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Crosley.In.AZ

OK.....  I will find out tomorrow....

it is a land scape art type object Janice wants me to build.

it may become a land fill art object.  :shock:
Tony

enjenjo

Find a tire the right diameter, and bend it around that, it should be no big deal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mr Cool

If its hard-drawn copper you'll need to take it to an engineering shop and have it rolled if its critical. Most shops over here have a set of rollers and will only charge you a couple of dollars.
Filling with sand is usually the best method for ensuring no kinks if youre bending it by hand around something.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have 4 extra tires off my truck , should be no problem.
Tony

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"I have 4 extra tires off my truck , should be no problem.
Might find a 27" bicycle wheel and over bend your arc and then straighten it back out from the ends. No more manual dexterity than I have it is easier to bend stuff into a trough and an "English Racer" bicycle style wheel might keep it from kinking better than the flat of a tire. Get a lot of copper because "work hardening" will happen almost immediatly and the bend will not be nicer if you try to redo it. Also 7/8"o.d.  ACR soft copper refrigeration grade copper might stand the bending better than regular soft copper and an A/C installer may have pieces of a pre-charged kit laying around that had that size of suction line. GPster

Deuce

When Horn makers bend the brass.....for horns.....they sometimes fill it with water and then FREEZE it.......

I tried it and it works well.......or it did for me.......on copper also.....

RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Crosley.In.AZ

today I bought the copper pipe. had to buy the hard stuff and anneal it.

Filled the tube with sand , smashed the ends shut.  I bent the pipe around a tire from my truck as Janice held the pipe centered on the tire.

Worked great. I have most of this landscape art thing finished.

I'm getting atta boy  points for building this thing..... keeps her happy
Tony

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"today I bought the copper pipe. had to buy the hard stuff and anneal it.

Filled the tube with sand , smashed the ends shut.  I bent the pipe around a tire from my truck as Janice held the pipe centered on the tire.

Worked great. I have most of this landscape art thing finished.

I'm getting atta boy  points for building this thing..... keeps her happy

pictures?
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

yes,  I took a snap or 3.

under construction photo

The circles with the 'bugs' in them are some spinning sprinklers that Home Depot had on the discount table.

After i am finished , i will scuff the whole unit with scotch brite pad.  It will then be planted in the landscape at just the right place per Janice.

I've been using copper for several projects at the house. The second photo shows planters at the front drive way. These are cast concrete, very heavy.

I bought the copper light and added a section of 3/4 pipe over the stem for a beefier look.  The coiled 1/4 copper tubes have drip irrigation hose inside them to water the plants
Tony

Those planters at the end of the drive would only last till the first time the snow plow came by  :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Bib_Overalls

Nicely done.

What is that length of tube with the umbrella cap?  Light?  Something you made?

My wife walked in while I was reading this thread and she wants me to make one (trellis) for her.  She said "Our yard."  But I don't want one.  So it must be for her.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks