Bilstein shocks reviews?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 03, 2023, 09:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Any one here use the Bilstein shocks?  I never have.  In the olde daze 40 yrs ago, we installed Monroe Magnum shocks on our trucks , 4x4 or not.  There were kits to add dual shocks too.

The F-350 with RV attached , we experienced some real ruff freeways in summer 2022. Wavey roads on the super slabs concrete highways. This caused the truck and RV to kinda porpoise up & down on the rear of the truck.

I think the F-350 could use a bit more dampening on the back end when I have the 5th wheel hooked up.  Been looking at Bilstein 4600 series shocks for the rear of the F-350.  The truck is not a smooth ride with the spring rates any how.  So a slightly stiffer shock likely will not affect unloaded ride quality.

I deflat the rear tires slightly when unloaded for extended time.  Down to 45-48 from 65psi when towing. It suppose to help the ride while empty , altho I question how much smoother.

:shock:  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I had them on the front of the 32. I needed some shorter shocks and bought generic gas filled units. I couldn't tell any difference in ride quality. Now, it's a given that with a straight axle, it might not be the best comparison. :) The Chevy 4 wheel drives used to come with them from the factory. I thought it could have been a selling point rather than a performance upgrade. I have 1 ton exp. in the past. Unless I was really loaded, the ride was always stiff. You have a lot of leverage to deal with the rv. Someone knows the answer, I don't. :)
TEAM SMART

moose

I had the standard type gas shocks on my '36 Sedan. Switched to Bilsteins on all for corners. Night and day difference!

Crosley.In.AZ

Couple guys on an RV forum I asked about the shocks have mentioned something.

With my 5th wheel hooked up, the hitch weight (3700 pounds) puts my truck onto the rear side of the overload spring slightly. The front of the overload spring is about 3/8 of an inch off the contact point.  They suggest the bouncing of the RV & truck on the wavy  road  may be increased by the overload spring compressing on the front and then pushing the back of the truck upwards. The OEM shocks struggle to control the movement.

Most of the RV guys agree the Bilstein shocks would help some over the OEM shocks. At near 100 dollars a shock, I hate to replace OEM shocks with 16k miles on them and see little or no improvement. I have a couple months to decide on shocks. We all know OEM equipment only meets the minimum demands

8)
Tony

jaybee

The autocross, track day, and road racing folks really seem to like Bilsteins. Not exactly your application, but it's all about good damping action.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

I crawled under the truck yesterday for a look see.  The right rear OEM shock has a slight leak. The oil has about half the bottom section of the tube covered.

:twisted:  :twisted:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Ordered Shocks for the F-350 from AMazon ...  Bilstein 4600 series at $84.00 each plus the gov $ part.  Should arrive next week.

No tracking info yet.   I wonder what parts of the country the shocks will see before they arrive?  :arrow:   ::)   ???
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bilstein shocks arrived. They came out of Maryland.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Installed the shocks on the F-350 . Can not tell if they help yet. Need 5th wheel RV hooked on to the F-350 and then some of those not so smooth wavy roads
Tony

jaybee

Sure, but they make the bottom of the truck look great!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)