2021: What are you doing today

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2021, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A new year. new projects.  New ideas for olde projects.

Hopefully we are moving towards a smoother year in 2021 than 2020 proved to be.  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I have spent the last 2 days doing cost estimates of various configurations for the 51 Ford, I purchased. To say costs have risen since the last project would be not completely correct. The desire to use better components will be what drives the price more than basic inflation. The 2 items that are really apparent are shipping costs and parts with lots of steel required to make them. I purchased $271 in tubing in 2013 to build the frame under the last 51. I haven't got a cost on that yet, but I bet it is very substantial in increase. It works well for me to purchase a donor car for drivetrain. I'm not sure where this will end up. I would like to do something different from the past projects. Availability will probably provide the answer. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I punish myself , but to be fair I dont know what will happen when I order a part on eBay. I am looking at the sellers closer in an attempt to avoid shipping messes from over seas like I had in 2020

Tracking in the northeast shows the package accepted at 2 different USPS locations.  One in Woodland WA and the other in Portland OR . Package was accepted  about 15 minutes apart at each location.  Google maps shows these 2 cities about 35 miles apart.    Maybe there is a time zone change and the times I read are really 1 hour and 15 minutes apart?

Weird stuff.   :lol:  Likely I simply do not understand the tracking  process that USPS has?
Tony

idrivejunk

2021 would be a good time to quit forums, snap to reality and embrace the fact that my last project was 20 years ago and could fail at anytime leaving me V8-less for keeps.I don't believe I will ever figure out how any of you do it. :)

Exciting stuff! Not.  :arrow:  

Have a good roddy year, everybody. :)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Dropped the engine oil and transmission oil out of the wife's daily driver Honda Civic..  every 5k miles that happens.

I did not want to over work myself , so a small amount of yard work was performed too.  Tomorrow I finish grout work on the slate tile I installed on a fence pillar last week..  No need to over do it.
Tony

chimp koose

Helped a buddy pick up his engine from the machine shop today . 351C  , he has used good parts . It was a dished piston motor with about 8.2:1 CR , should be 10.2:1 now with a good forged flat top and more suitable head gasket . The cam was selected years ago and would have been good if the old version of the motor had some compression. I think it will really respond now. Man are Cleveland parts  ever expensive .

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"Helped a buddy pick up his engine from the machine shop today . 351C  , he has used good parts . It was a dished piston motor with about 8.2:1 CR , should be 10.2:1 now with a good forged flat top and more suitable head gasket . The cam was selected years ago and would have been good if the old version of the motor had some compression. I think it will really respond now. Man are Cleveland parts  ever expensive .

Pantera guy was singing that song last time I saw him. Thinks a ring broke but an act of congress is required to remove engine. My project today was spending a couple hours responding to PMs. Before that, fell asleep watching a sleep lecture. Go figure! Interesting, the adaptations living things develop in order to sleep living with predators. Our human adaptation has been all but crushed to nothing and we deny there ever being one. How silly.  :?

Might get warm enough to prime carb tomorrow. That'd change my tune. :arrow:
Matt

Charlie Chops 1940

Spent sometime putting some stuff away on shelves. Painted a transmission, cruised the web for awhile. Contemplating getting back to work on the '40 Ford coupe. Want to sell it this year. Grand kids back to school this week...man, I sure miss them!
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Beck

I think about doing things in the garage. By the time I'm done thinking about them it's too late to get started.

I dream about my creations being a big success. When I go to the garage I find a pile of parts that need assembly, but the parts don't fit.

Put a kink in my back going back and forth from mill to bench top with my aluminum engine block. My wife said I need a lift for that. She was standing next to it at the time.

kb426

C.K., Richard Holder's favorite engine he dynoed in oem configuration was a 1970 "M" code 351. That was a single 4 intake, small chamber heads and 10 to 1 comp. It made right at 370 hp. He said that was the highest over stock rating of any engine he's tested. I believe he said the intake ports flowed 270 cfm from the factory. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

This one is a 71 with the same heads . A bit more cam and compression ,headers and an intake made in australia that is supposed to fit under the factory shaker hood (a must) and make WAY more low rpm torque than the eddy performer . Hoping for 13s in a 71 torino C6/3:70 9"

kb426

I spent the afternoon removing bolts from the 51 F6. Most with a cutoff tool. There are 2 bolts left and the front clip will be ready to remove. The hood and running boards are off. This had not been disassembled before. It's interesting to see the differences from the 51 F1. It's only warm enough for me to work outside in the afternoons. We have a couple more decent days before the weather changes again so I hope to get the cab off before the next cold blast.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I spent the afternoon setting up the new compressor. The pressure control switch was broken, that may be the reason it was never used. The new one came in Friday. I got that installed and wired. I need one 1/4" pipe nipple, I will pick that up in the morning. U plumbed in a ball valve for the shop air system in 3/4" pipe, I still have to connect that to shop air. I still have finish the tank drain, I am relocating it so I can reach it once the compressor is installed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

The O&S exercise program was back in action today. I started a little after 12 and finished before 5. I do believe I'll be plenty sore tomorrow. I've had enough rusty bolts for a while. I got a good look at the top with the sun just right. Let's just say it needs work. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I got a good look at the top with the sun just right. Let's just say it needs more Viper reveal. :)

Fixed that ^^^ for ya! :lol:
Matt