Tire store review

Started by purplepickup, October 02, 2009, 01:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've been wanting to get some inexpensive alloy wheels and tires for my daily driver.  I looked on the "Tire Rack" website and they had a lot of choices so I drove to their distribution center in South Bend, Indiana today to do some "look and feel" shopping.  Man, I was impressed.  The place is a new half a million square foot facility in a cornfield. The lobby is a showroom with racks and racks of nice wheels.  It took about 45 minutes to decide what I wanted.   The guy that helped me knew a lot and made me feel like I was an important customer.   I liked that.

I pulled my car into one of the 30+ stalls.  The tech was friendly and we talked for a couple minutes.   The waiting room had a complete glass wall that looked out over the shop.  It was interesting to watch the guys work.  They had a good system going. There were some pretty nice cars came through too.

It's an American family owned business and I was impressed.
George

Charlie Chops 1940

I've been buying tires from them for 7 or 8 years. They seem to be the price leader to boot. I'm looking to get a set of Michelin's for the TB before winter. I've picked up 3 or 4 sets of T/A's at the South Bend location and will probably just run down there to get them put on.  I've planned ahead on most of the buys and ordered in advance for pickup on the way to somewhere else.

Their web site is the best for comparing tire sizes and dimensions, plus tire reviews too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Okiedokie

Recently found a screw in my wife's new Toyota Venza tire. Only 5,000 miles on the car. The screw was into the sidewall and the tire guys I use felt it was doomed to tread seperation. They plugged it and suggested  I buy a new one soon. Since they are Goodyear and theses guys didn't sell Goodyear, I got on the phone to the tire stores that do locally. Got quotes of $200 to $300, and all would have to order, none in town. Just to get an idea of price I looked at Tire Rack. For less than $130 I had the new tire at my door in three days. I am sold on the Tire rack. Joe

purplepickup

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I'm looking to get a set of Michelin's for the TB before winter.
Charlie
Charlie I just got an email ad from them saying that Michelin has a $70  per 4 rebate now until Nov 15.  http://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=M937
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Ordering tires to be shipped in , then have a local tire store install them?  

How does the warranty repair work out?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"Ordering tires to be shipped in....

How does the warranty repair work out?
I asked about that.  Warranty is by manufacturer and dealt with either through them or a local dealer that handles that brand of tire.  If you get Road Hazard coverage they do it by reimbursement for repairs up to $25 or reimbursement for replacement if that is necessary.

Something I forgot to mention was that by driving there and buying both wheels & tires as a package, lugnuts were included, they switched out my tire pressure monitor sensors for free, there weren't any charges for mounting and balancing, they rebalanced my takeoffs & wrapped them in plastic to keep my car clean, and even threw in a new extended 13/16" socket.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

I put a couple of new tyres on my car trailer a few weeks ago.  I will not put used tyres on my trailer, i've had no luck with used tyres.

Discount tires was a bit high for 2 tyres.....  then a few days later I  a guy on Craig's list with set of 4 tires and wheels for trailer use that was 65 bucks higher for  than the 2 tires only i bought at Discount tire.  

Of course I have replacement paperwork for the tires from Discount , where the Craig's list guy would be a "howdy , sorry to hear 3 tyres blew out?"
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the heads-up, George.  I ordered a set of Michelin's for my Ranger; they'll be in today sometime.  After having them mounted and balanced, I'll have saved about $100 with the rebate.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I've used Tirerack and Discount tires by internet. I'm happy with both. I'd sure like to visit that store. Walmart for car guys. :lol:
TEAM SMART

41woodie

The last two sets of replacement tires I've purchased for our daily drivers have come from Tire Rack.  A set of Michelins and a set of Yokohamas, one my favorite services of Tire Rack are the customer reviews and ratings of various tires that help me find the features that I'm most interested in when I make the purchase.