smooth running boards

Started by idrivejunk, December 02, 2022, 08:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Vehicles in question are a model A and an F1.

Smooth running boards I have used come with hat channels that have keyhole slots for carriage bolts to connect to frame brackets. They are not welded to the board.

All other techs believe those are to be welded to boards, I say not and believe that comes from the instructions on the first pair.

My take on it is the fenders hold the board in place and the brackets support it. Nobody has ever seen anything done that way.

What do you see / do / prefer / find logical / think sounds right?
Matt

kb426

I have no problem with that logic. Where I would make a defining point would be the style of frame. The originals are flexie flyers and move a lot. Look at the mounting holes on front fenders that are ripped out. With a rigid frame, you can do either. But with anything 10' long, something will move. Moving without breaking is where I want to be. I wouldn't have welded them solid for that reason. If a tight bolt won't hold it in place, you have a problem that will surface at some time. If it's a garage queen, it probably makes no difference.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

True, true. There must be "float" somewhere as evidenced by rubbery stocker issues.

To clarify, both vehicles use aftermarket frames. To concur, flexibility is a consideration albeit on a different scale.

Tips of frame brackets have a lot of leverage.

To clarify further, my take involves bolting hat channels with padding on top to the frame braces rather than doing same but plug welding channels to board.

I'll take anybody's take, and thanks Bill I certainly value yours. :)
Matt

enjenjo

Factory boards have the hat channels welded to the boards. I made some Smoothie boards for 34 DeSoto and welded the hat channels to them with no problems after many miles. I have installed Chevy 3100 smoothie boards that came with the hat channels welded on and had no problems with them either.

My concern with keeping the hat channels separate would be squeaks and rubbing the paint off on the bottom of the boards.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Plenty of logic in that, Frank. And new info for me, I didn't know some prefab smoothies come with channels welded. That'll stop a guy from installing them backwards! 8)

Its been a long time now but what I may have had in mind was a bead of seam sealer or windshield urethane on the channel flanges. If done right, that might address the jiggles.

My main concern is with puckering at the welds with fill on top, over time. I pitch form but prefer function and if a guy  sticks to meets held on pavement thats surely relevant. And its safe to assume you steppa on my smooth board I breaka you face.  :lol:
Matt

moose

I have had both A nad 36 ford smoothie boards. They both had the channels spot welded to the board with key slots to use carriage bolts to fasten to the brackets. if concerned with chatter a this rubber strip between the channel and bracket works as an isolater.

idrivejunk

Howdy Moose. I'm certain the F1 boards came with loose channels but thinking back now, the A boards did have channels welded. What I'm gathering here is that having the bolted connection is the common and trusted way.

Memory fades.  :blank:

Without a doubt, in any arrangement a solid connection there contributes greatly to overall body stiffness and helps bed follow cab when flexing. Its no big deal though guys, just a theory revisit.

So what do RRT we think about, in the interest of silky smooth board tops forever...

Revising brackets to connect to the downward facing flange at bottom of running board skin. Perhaps linking frame bracket tips with angle iron. So the board face is not in any attachment flex peril? :idea:

My leave it loose theory may have resulted in less flexy cracky fender stuff. Or more, not sure. But for example during our stylish domestic muscle era, Asian and European makes were spotwelding inner panels to outer panel faces like thats how its done. Admittedly, F1 hood design engages in the same mentality. I just think if we can steer away from that on skyward facing cut flat and buffed knock em dead at the show paint jobs, every chance we get... that'd be great. Sometimes throwing out more of the stock stuff is an answer.
Matt

enjenjo

After spending some time thinking about this here are my thoughts. Weld the channels to some 16 ga. plates about 8" by 8" or so. Then panel bond that to the running board. You could actually make the 16 da. panel run from the front bracket to the rear bracket. that would give you more area to bond.

My other thought was to recess the ends of the boards about 3/16" where they meet the fenders, and install a 1/4" rubber gasket in the with bolts, heavy fender washers, and lock nuts to isolate the boards from the fenders.
If I still have it, and I can find it, I'll post some pictures of the hammer form I made to make left and right asymmetrically curved running boards from one form.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Giving thought-  :)

Post em up  8)

Spreading the force out like that is a sure yes. I still like connecting brackets to a doubled outer lip rather than the board face. But there may be no more opportunities for me to build anything, thats unsure.

I illustrated your thought, I think (see one sketch). A slight radius at cut end of board so it didn't look chopped off might be an added touch for that.

The other sketch is what I think would be trick. Lets shadow of fender hide rubber padding and again, moves fasteners / welds away from visible panel faces.
Matt

kb426

I like the in to the fender thought. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

That arrangement could probably even be set up to float unconnected to fenders if alternate fender mounting were arranged. If fabricating smooth boards, the pass-under arrangement eliminates the need for complex, well-fitting end pieces on them.

But its an unproven theory. :)
Matt

jaybee

Interesting discussion. It reminds me of one from long ago here about building things that are highly adjustable and meet in ways which make minor misalignments and differences in gaps harder to see. An example of the opposite would be that Ford pickup. The way the hood sits on top of the fenders makes it very difficult to get the gaps right.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

You got that right! ^^^

Theres not even a need to clarify which generation in that example.
Matt