Neutral safety/Back up light switch.

Started by enjenjo, September 15, 2021, 09:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

On Josh's 65 Buick we installed a later GM no key tilt column. The later neutral/backup light switch interferes with the 65 brake pedal bracket. If this had been known before we rebuilt and painted the column we could have moved it easily, but neither of us wanted to redo the column again. So I picked up a Lokar transmission mounted switch. The only problem, it will work as a neutral switch, or a back up switch, but not both, There were other switches available, but they are very proud of them.

So I mounted it, and looked at it for a while.  The neutral switch works off of a forked bracket that depresses the switch to actuate in Park or Neutral. The back up lights work off the same switch, but uses a single end bracket. It will do one or the other, but not both. But by having another switch mounted inboard of the one that is there, I could reverse the back up light bracket and actuate both. It took about an hour to whip up a bracket that was held in place by the the original switch in place of the spacer washer they had there. I have to mount it on the transmission to be sure, but no reason it won't work.

I needed a second switch. Lokar gets $24.95 for just the switch. I found the same switch on Ebay as Eaton/Fuller pn 22940 for under $10.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.