What steering column would work?

Started by chimp koose, July 03, 2020, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

I am going to ask here as most have experience with old ford 1/2 tons . My 65 merc has a three on the tree column and I have gone to an automatic trans . I hooked up the R-1 lever on the column shift to shift the auto trans but it is iffy at best and I have to hunt for the gears . Also the shifter throw as it is will not go into low . What column would be closest to a direct bolt in for an auto shift in this truck . I dont need /want ign in column and as close to direct bolt in as possible . I do not want to have to shorten the column if possible . I have never seen this style of truck with anything but a standard trans of some sort . Just wondering if there is a wrecker part that is a bolt in to solve my shifter issues . Thanks in advance .

enjenjo

On my 62 F250 I used a 64 Ford Galaxie automatic column with the 62 truck shaft and wheel. It all pretty much bolted together.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I would take a look at the 67 - 72 column. LMC truck lists 64 -70 as the same column.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

went to the wrecker today and found a stash of old 60s fords. galaxies etc , managed to cut my shin enough for 5 stitches before i could start getting a column  :shock: ill go back in a few days . all these columns are close to the same length and all are the same diameter. Thanks for the suggestions . I dont think i have ever seen a pre 67 ford truck with an auto trans from stock.I imagine the wiring would all be the same for these columns . ill try and find one with a good signal switch.

chimp koose

Enjenjo are the truck shafts different? I dont care what the wheel looks like car or truck.

enjenjo

As I recall the reason I used the truck shaft was it was longer than the one from a car. The spline was the same for the steering wheel. So rather than taking it all apart, I just left the shaft in, and pulled the column from around it, slipped the car column over it so it matched up at the top, and fastened it in place. No hassle, quick and easy job. I kept the bigger truck steering wheel since it had armstrong steering.

Then again I think the steering column in a 65 is different than a 62 because they went to twin I beam in that time frame.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Had not thought about 're-sleeving ' the steering shaft . That is a great idea. Armstrong steering on this truck too and I don't want a smaller wheel .Once my leg is healed up I will go out there and snag a column . It sure would be nice to have this truck up to daily driver status . When I really get on the brakes , one rear wheel locks up . Makes me wonder if the other wheel cyl is working properly . Rock auto and new wheel cyl for the rear should fix that . I am getting used to 4 wheel drum again . Its been power disc /drum on everything else for a few years now.

chimp koose

I went back to the wrecker today and got a column out of a 78 f250 that looks like it should work . I will have to cut off the under dash mounts and weld the one on from the 65. The mount to the firewall is different too but should be no problem . This column is 2" shorter but i have not checked to see if it is collapsible . If so I can probably pull it out a bit if it helps.

Dusty

Quote from: "chimp koose"I went back to the wrecker today and got a column out of a 78 f250 that looks like it should work . I will have to cut off the under dash mounts and weld the one on from the 65. The mount to the firewall is different too but should be no problem . This column is 2" shorter but i have not checked to see if it is collapsible . If so I can probably pull it out a bit if it helps.

You might look at the '78-'81 chevy Van column.  They do not have the ign switch or dimmer on the column.
That is what I put in my '38 coupe.  You oughta see someone drive it that never saw a dimmer on the floor......
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

chimp koose

Dusty , the main reason I went with the ford column was that it had the shift er and detents that i needed for the switch to auto trans . I used a 84 van column in my model T but I had to shorten it . I ended up using a chrome table leg for the column as it was smaller diameter  and made the column using the van shaft , signal switch and bearing retainers etc . I am making a shifter for it that is  mounted just above the column like the old 50's cars except that it will end under the dash and be a hidden cable shifter rather than go out the firewall.

Dusty

Sounds like you have a plan...
Gud Luk...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

chimp koose

Got the shifter idea from fixing my 98 Ranger . I was having trouble getting it into park . looked at the shifter and went AHA  8)  . An aftermarket company was selling those over-the-column shifters that went through the firewall but I didnt want the shift linkage in the engine bay . This will give me a clear floor and a clear firewall ,win win . The shift linkage under dash should fit behind the dash and in front of the 90degree master cyl assembly I made a few years ago.