oil for the 455

Started by idrivejunk, July 14, 2019, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

VR-1 30W has become a special order item in this town so I can't use it anymore. One place in town carries Lucas break in additive.

Can I use the same Valvoline high mileage 10-30 that use in the 3800s with Lucas zddp?

Or should I find something straight 30W?

This is probably the last V8 I will ever get to have and it has wear so no mistakes are allowed. So I ask first.
Matt

idrivejunk

Never mind. Sorry. Going with the daily driver oil with additive. And prayer.
Matt

idrivejunk

Hey, thanks. Those are nice prices and the oil has comparable words on it. Wonder why I was running straight 30W. Somebody somewhere told me that was best, I guess.

Two reasons I don't buy online are my card number stays safe and I have a full time job twenty miles away from my plain residence.

I got all the stuff for the oil change for around fifty bucks at a local store and it is done now. Frank you, Thank.  :lol:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I buy ZDDP Plus on eBay...   Also use the Lucas additive now since my work place now stocks most of the oil line from Lucas.

I buy the Rotella  dino  oil from Walmart.  Use it in the Goldwing and the old 1962 Falcon with the zddp additive
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

I ran Rotella the first year or two in the 455 with no additive. Hopefully what I did is adequate protection for whats left of my bumpstick and such.

For lack of a better place to dump this pic... can I change the subject away from an oil rant thing? :arrow:

Howzis 66-7 back window look on a 69 GP? :idea:  :?:

Sock it to me. :)
Matt

jaybee

That looks really trick!

The 66-67 Chevelle is my favorite of all the Chevelles. The flying buttress rear window is one of my favorite things about the design even though it's aerodynamically deficient. It just looks trick.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

I liked the corvettes best when they still had that sail panel going on in the back window . they changed in 78? , not as appealing imho. As to the oil , I think motorcycle oil still has the zinc in it . I used to use Diesel oil that had a s_ rating as well , but they took the zinc out of it quite a while ago . :cry:

idrivejunk

Didn't those Corvettes have a movable glass? I think it would be even tricker like that even if it couldn't go all the way down.

If it remained stationary I could fab everything including moldings since they are painted. Would just need cut flat glass.

Not likely to happen though.

Jaybee, I speak GTO. Whats this Chevelle thing you mentioned?  :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Oh, by the way... an observation. Starter seriously seems to spin faster with the new oil. It did that when I put full synthetic VR1 in it once. Because the counterchild insisted "All VR1 IS synthetic now!". :roll:  He sold me $8 oil for $6. :? Maybe I am wrong and its a seat of pants perception thing but I noticed without having thought to listen for that. I have trouble sorting reality though. :shock:  :lol:
Matt

39deluxe

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Didn't those Corvettes have a movable glass? I think it would be even tricker like that even if it couldn't go all the way down.

If it remained stationary I could fab everything including moldings since they are painted. Would just need cut flat glass.

The back glass was removeable through 1972. Starting in 1973 it was a fixed window through 1977. I have seen 73-77 cars converted to removable using the earlier parts.

Tom

idrivejunk

Quote from: "39deluxe"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"Didn't those Corvettes have a movable glass? I think it would be even tricker like that even if it couldn't go all the way down.

The back glass was removeable through 1972. Starting in 1973 it was a fixed window through 1977. I have seen 73-77 cars converted to removable using the earlier parts.

Tom

Hey! Now theres some relevant and useful info. Thank you, sir. 8)
Matt