2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Thanks Tony, and everybody for the well wishes.  He's been smoking since he was nine years old, which means 68 years.  I guess he didn't learn from both parents and our oldest brother dying of cancer.  He waited too long to do something about it, as now he's not strong enough for even the cancer tests.

Doug, I've never seen a Stinger in person, just on the net.  There are a lot of nice Corvairs out there, and some are now bringing in good money.  I bought mine just so I could do more body work, as I kind of like that more than mechanical, though I'm an amateur.  I'm worried about the belt line on the left front fender, as it must've been dented and they filled it with bondo.  The previous owner started sanding the car for a repaint, and he really messed up that line.  I'll see how it goes.

Summer's coming, it's about 50* here today. Yay!
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Phil, I think your gen of corvair makes a slick looking car when finished. When I see those with engine swaps, I get excited about the possibilities. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Better y'all sit down.  :lol:   :lol:

My SS direct deposit happened as the fellow at the SS office said it would.  We hope this indicates that is fixed.  The damage and changes from my wife's stolen C Card information has been a real P I T A.  Its stuff we often hear or read about.  We were careful.  Some where , some one cloned , scanned or something her card.   :o  , :o
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Tony, as you know, some people do their jobs. Sometimes well. :) I'm glad you're on the road to closure on that. If you haven't done a security freeze on the 3 credit reports, it's wise to do. That limits the damage real quick in regards to opening anything new.
TEAM SMART

kb426

Another afternoon of cleaning parts for O&S. It's looking a lot less like a 174,000 mile hunk of iron. :) The replacement cam bearings arrived so the ball is in my court now.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

spent time on the chopper today . made mounts for the tank and then started tacking the tank body to the base . Sent pictures to my son and he loves it so all is good .

Crosley.In.AZ

I moved my car trailer around a bit today..  This is the hitch on my F350. The receiver on the F350 is 3 inch square, Ford provided a reducer to 2.5 inch.  So I bought a Curt brand 2.5 inch hitch for the truck.

Its rated at 20k pounds with 2 5/16" ball  and 10k pounds on the 2 inch ball.  Seems weird the 5/16 inch larger ball is double the weight rating?
Tony

idrivejunk

I moved that rear bumper in just a touch more, one cardboard layer's thickness from touching fenders, then put more cardboard where somebody said to. I just shifted to the next available bumper mount hole.

I should not trim bumper or modify brackets since I do not have authority to redesign and my assumptions are consistently incorrect. The owner did not supply bumper hardware and has about two days labor in bumpers so far.

I can only meet expectations I am aware of. Made the mistake of asking the assembler-to-be to confirm where I think exhaust will go and ended up not in control of bumpers. I can only trim and relocate bumper with the owner or the person he trusts standing over my shoulder, best I can figure. The main objective is minimal cost. See pics.

Me, I think a 78 econoline rear bumper would be a solution. This looks like it should be diamond plate. A curved bumper doesn't make sense to me at all but its what we have.
Matt

58 Yeoman

So he's going to make a flat spot on that rear bumper? Hmmm. My 46 Ford 1/2T pickup had a flat bar bumper in front and back.  I agree with you on the curves.  My $.02.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Well the bottom edge, which is now the top, has a flat about a half inch wide. The braces bolt up there, in the provided holes. Thats what kb and I were not liking about the inverted rear bumper. But it lends itself readily to having a flat top bumper. Personally I think it will look like a step bumper that ought to be diamond plate.

But 56 guy wants to avoid adding the expense of adding a fabricated panel. Again, to me personally a straight bumper makes the most sense. Towing is not a consideration but stock bumpers have a heavy draw bar inside, for hitch use.

Web grab pic shows what I think should work as-is or with a split to adjust width if needed. The fronts for that vehicle have a tag location provided, if that were preferred.

I'd just hate for both exhaust and tag to be afterthought things eventually requiring additional work or being discarded, or heaven forbid looking silly. Insert popular Sgt. Shultz expression here.

Its nice enough out that I'm having thoughts of fiddling with the GTP. Its either I do a multitude of work operations at home without the equipment to do so or assistance, stuff that requires a lift... or find a shop willing to work on a ratty 99 model and pay quadruple the car's value, and have an obsolete 300K+ mile heap to show for it... or drive it to the u-pull-it with strong engine and trans and decent exterior appearance. Wheres the win?  ::)

Matt

chimp koose

That econoline bumper would be a good choice . The other bumper needs something to fill the top gap. I would think of a metal filler covered in a ribbed rubber like used on a running board . Checker plate belongs on industrial equipment .

idrivejunk

Quote from: chimp koose on March 05, 2023, 12:04:07 PMThat econoline bumper would be a good choice . The other bumper needs something to fill the top gap. I would think of a metal filler covered in a ribbed rubber like used on a running board . Checker plate belongs on industrial equipment .

Yes, this! ^^^  :)

At least it would look like an Astro van step bumper or something. I bet thats we will end up with. Not that a guy would want to step on it, mind you.

Sounds like your chopper project is making progress bit by bit. Riding it when done will be bonus enjoyment. You deserve something cool to scoot around with no matter how many wheels it has. 8)
Matt

WZ JUNK

I went to test and tune at the opening day of the drag strip to watch Hooley test the new "Okie Twister 2". He made a great half track pass and then a window opened up in the oil pan.  This is the engine we set records at Bonneville and he used in the original Okie Twister for years.  Sad day.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

O&S did a little today. I installed soft plugs, cam bearings, cam and crank. Then I bolted a bunch together and painted it. It got up to 74 degrees today. :) Lots to do still.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: WZ JUNK on March 05, 2023, 05:01:48 PMI went to test and tune at the opening day of the drag strip to watch Hooley test the new "Okie Twister 2". He made a great half track pass and then a window opened up in the oil pan.  This is the engine we set records at Bonneville and he used in the original Okie Twister for years.  Sad day.

Yikes !  Opening a window in the pan is not a good thing.  Does Hooley have a backup engine - short block ?
Tony